Switch question.

xlarge77

Beta member
Hi everyone.

I am new here and this is my first posting.

I have an Xbox, Samsung Blu-Ray and DirecTV box all connected to a switch. The switch itself gets it's internet from a connected wireless gaming adapter. One device will work fine but next time I come to use a different device I have to reset the switch and adapter; It could be the same day or it might be a week later. This happens every time. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix this?

Switch - Trendnet teg-s5g
Adapter - Trendnet tew-647ga

Many thanks!

You problem is that your wireless adapter is not what you want. That adapter is set up to receive only one IP address from your router (which acts like DHCP aka it passes out IP address) there for it will work for one device. That is why it is a gaming adapter for you to plug it directly into your console. Now your switch is a great switch. I own one and I love it. The way a switch works is that it just makes so you can plug in more than one device like a router but it does not have a DHCP server built it. This is what your router does. So if you plug in your router into your switch, each device would communicate with the router and say give me a IP.

Great reply! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

My router is too far away for the switch to be hard wired. Can you recommend an alternative? All 3 devices are never on at the same time so would the same static IP on the 3 devices and the adapter work?

I used my old airport ad I'm in buisness. Shame it's on g :). Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom