small LAN problems

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
Ok, i have a desktop and a laptop, one with XP pro and one with XP home (Respectively) - when i plug a cat-5 cable into each of the LAN ports, it takes a while and then there is a message saying that there is limited or no connectivity - although it seems fine :confused:

also, i want to make the desktop the host, i.e. the administrator and the laptop just as a workstation - is that possible with just a LAN and XP pro/home?

thanks! :)

What exactly are you trying to do? When you plug the two computers together using one cable, their is no DCHP server, so you will get the limited or no connectivity message, completely normal.

well, i want to be abel to fully access the laptop through the desktop (doesnt matter if i cant access the desktop thrugh the laptop) and by access i mean be able to go through all the files and such

when i try now, i get a message saying:

//{Computer name} is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact te administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

"Network path was not found" means that your computer could not find the other computer. How exactly do you have your physical network setup, you should plug both computers into your router instead of running a cable directly between them.

You have a crossover cable right?

Instead of using the computer name, try to connect via the IP eg \\192.168.0.1\

Unfortunately, xp home only supports simple file sharing so you can not set share permissions on each share so it would be best if the desktop was the 'main' computer

Cant you just use a router and set the PC to host and run the laptop of it wireless, sending information PC- laptop that way would be much easier.

Back
Top Bottom