Setting up static Ip

outlawstar4761

In Runtime
Hey everyone. I'm not very knowlegable in the area of networking, so bear with me. I'm trying to configure utorrent (and a number of other programs that involve network connection) and it's like my computer is traped behind something and can't reach out and touch anyone. When I check to make sure my selected port is open through utorrent it says that it is not. I've gone through the router and tried to open/forward that port. but it still doesn't work. And I'm pretty sure this all comes down to not having a static ip, but I'm having some trouble setting one up. I've scoured google and I'm not coming up with much, could anyone help please?

Thanks in advance

Make sure your network card support the actions you are trying to realize.

say what?

Anyways, a having a static IP can be two things, one from your ISP (which costs more than you are currently using) and one for your network. You shouldn't need either for utorrent though.

Tell us a little more about your setup (ISP, router, OS), what you're trying to do and what kind of errors, if any, you are getting.

^^ Static IPs should be used when forwarding ports in the router.

OP: As celegorm said, a list of your hardware would help a lot. Did you said the port in utorrent to the port you opened in your router? What ports and protocols did you try to open up?

^^ Static IPs should be used when forwarding ports in the router.

OP: As celegorm said, a list of your hardware would help a lot. Did you said the port in utorrent to the port you opened in your router? What ports and protocols did you try to open up?

Not exactly true. If you want to host a website, then a static IP will make it easier, But you dont need one in most situations..

I have an allied telysis modem (at-rg634)
and a linksys wrt100 wireless router. I am using it wirelessly and since I'm the only computer on the network, no one is hardwired to that router.

I used to use azeurous, but it always had an alert in the bottom saying that my NAT might not be setup or configured properly. I don't remember the exact wording. And my speeds were reletivly slow. And now Utorrent doesn't seem to be able to connect at all.

Well, considering he has a linksys router. If it's anything like the one I had you can not forward a range of IPs. This creates an issue on DHCP if you say turn off your computer, power outage, etc and your router assigns you a different IP address. The IP won't match and you won't have your ports forwarded. Now if he has a nicer router than I did, he may be able to forward a range of ports and not worry about it and just span it over any address that could pop up.

Back
Top Bottom