SERIOUS Question

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
What do I need to connect 12-15 computers through LAN? They are all gonna be within 100-250 feet; wireless isn't an option, so don't try and bring me into that.

Is there 1 box that I can just plug it all into while providing a networked deal with internet access?

You can get a hub/switch to connect to a router, and that will give you additional ports. I would recommend category 6 ethernet cable from newegg, just because it will cost you much less than it would in a store.

Depending on your modem, that alone may, or may not work. If that alone plugged into your modem doesn't work, you will know that you need a router. You most likely will need one.

Well we have a cable modem, since we have cable internet...

Ok so what do you propose we do? Buy a router, plug what we can into it, then buy a switch and plug the rest into that? I guess that makes sense...

I would suggest this router and the switch you posted. Plug the modem into the WAN port on the router, and run a patch cable from one of the numbered ports on the router to the uplink port on the switch you posted. hope this helps.

The router will also take care of DNS and DHCP, unless you already have a dedicated server running that service. On newegg, the largest combo router/switch unit I saw only connected 13 units together and it ran for $392.99.

Wow thanks, that cleared up a lot.

This is gonna be my first networking job...all hard-wired...I also have to make a cheap little server PC, which is just gonna be a server for some software of database stuffs.

That's good. I have a couple servers at the house, but I stick with like the DHCP on the router because it seems to work better for me. What operating system are you going to use on your server?

Probably Vista, it's only going to run some "ACS" program. I'm choosing the parts from Newegg...this is also gonna be my first PC build :).

Just an FYI to possibly help save you money, you don't necessarily need CAT6 cable. CAT5e is exactly the same when it comes to current capabilities.

Also remember with taht switch one of those sixteen ports will be used as an input. Your router will be able to use all four ports (one of which will be running to the stand alone swtich) and remember that you can daisy-chain switches as well if you need to add more in the future.

Back
Top Bottom