Secure packets over an unsecure wireless network

ROSEBLOOD

Baseband Member
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to encrypt my packets going across a wireless network (such as a free network at Starbucks). I guess you could say I'm paranoid. I was looking into IP Tunneling, but I couldnt find much. Could anyone point me in the right direction.

~ROSEBLOOD

Most of the wireless routers come with encrypted wi-fi connections such as the WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol)
If you want, you can also use MAC filtering

dyserq ... I think what Roseblood is alluding to is wanting to secure the data when he's connected to unsecure wireless networks at WIFI hotspots. The reason for them being called hotspots is because those wireless access points are wide open and do not use any kind of security such as WEP or mac filtering. Meaning anyone can connect to the wireless access point without a WEP key or network password.

I'm no expert in data security, but I think that using software used for Internet Security provide firewall protection and monitors/secures traffic coming and going to your laptop would be a good start to protecting your data.

Ok Cross ...
Hotspots are easy to get into and hijack peoples connections :D All you need is a laptop and a wireless router and google ! ;)
But he still wants to secure packets before sending them and i recommended some things in my last post in this thread

I guess Im a little confused then. Aren't WEP keys used between a laptop and an access point that has WEP enabled? Hotspots usually dont have WEP enabled, so entering a WEP key doesnt do any good there ... no? MAC filtering ... again doesnt the wireless access point need to have MAC filtering enabled and know of the MAC address of the laptop that is trying to connect? Meaning ... the MAC address of the laptop needs to be manually entered in the A.P./Router. The thread originator is asking to secure his data while connected to a FREE service ... i.e. while at Starbucks.

Your above suggestions do work if you're trying to secure your wireless access point/router, but I just dont see how they would work with a public hotspot that is wide open. Teach me ... I'm trying to figure this one out. :)

Hmm, he is accessing an unsecure network ... and he wants encryption to secure his data ... that would only be possible if the server actually gives you permission instead of hijacking one
Both the server and your computer must be configured to do this, not just taking the connection from the air and then using it ...
Well, cross, i'm not sure too, seeing as though ROSEBLOOD hasn't explained very clearly what kind of network it is ...

Well, there isn't really much you can do. The access points would have to be configured to use encryption along with your laptop. I know that starbucks does not generally use WEP, WPA or Mac Address filtering.... After all they are "public hotspots". There are a few things you can do though, just encrypt your data on your computer and use a firewall. Make sure it's fully updated, encrypt emails sent out, connect to "https:\\" secure sites. Oh and turn off the ad-hoc mode (which lets other clients connect directly to you!) There is no guarantee that you will ever be fully secure so do it at your own risk. Oh and tunnelling has to do with VPN's, you cant really do that on the public network...or internet... You can do it through your company or something like that though to be secure. What were you going to be doing that you need it to be secure anyway?

Back
Top Bottom