Same computers different internet speeds

cnl83

Baseband Member
I have two computers that are about the same processor. They are both P4 2.8 Gig, running the same network card, and same software. The only difference is that one is running XP and the other 2k. The one running xp downloads at 540 KB, and the one running 2k downloads at 1340KB. These computers are on the same network. I even swapped the locations, and its the same.

What would be restricting the communication on that XP machine to be so different from the 2K system.

p.s. FIREWALLS ARE OFF

This did not work. Its still slower than the other computer. I installed a gigabit ethernet card also. There is no reason this pc should be so much slower than the other one as far as connection. I formatted the Hard drive also!

have you tried replacing the cable on the slower one (or swap them) and see if there is any change. You might have a crappy Ethernet cable.

personally i wouldnt worry as both speeds are acceptable the time to worry is when their's a massive drop in download speed ie the 540kb pc dropping to something like 100kb etc.
how far are both pc's from the router and or modem?

Matt

personally i wouldnt worry as both speeds are acceptable the time to worry is when their's a massive drop in download speed ie the 540kb pc dropping to something like 100kb etc.
how far are both pc's from the router and or modem?

Matt

Not far.

The reason im looking into this is because I have an access application on the file server. When they run the same exact report, pc 1 takes 15 seconds, when pc 2 runs the report it takes 40-70 seconds. Way to long. This a report they run all the time.

Its an access program.

Back
Top Bottom