Ruthless DNS issues, please help! Seemingly No Fix!

HammyCakes

Baseband Member
Greetings guys! I'm in a huge predicament that I can only turn to you guys for help!

As of a few days ago, I've been having constant DNS issues; disconnects on certain PC apps, and complete loss of connection with Chrome. It happens randomly, and lasts for either a few seconds or a few minutes! I get the old dns_probe_finished_no_internet spiel from Chrome, but skype seems to be working! And trust me, I think I've tried everything at this point!

I've tried:
-flushing my DNS and changing to a new dns server, using both openDNS and the Google DNS.
-doing multiple netsh resets, including winsock resets and ipv4 resets.
-cycling power on my modem and router
-ipconfig release and renew, and using both dynamic and static ip's.
-i've ran a full virus scan with nothing turning up
-checked my HOSTS file for any variations, with nothing turning up.
-i've even tried closing every port into my router and pc, and then completely changing the internet adapter settings of my pc!

Name it, and I've probably tried it! This seemed to fix it a bit, it now happening at much more random intervals! It still happens though, and it's driving me insane! The only thing I haven't tried yet is calling my ISP, as it shouldn't be their issue! But if it comes to that, I won't hesitate.

But before I reach that point, I'm desperate for any help! Thanks bunches for any help in advanced guys!

Run ComboFix. You will have to disable your anti virus software in order to run it. No big.
Get it here:
ComboFix Download
After you run it be sure to turn your antivir back on.

You realy ned to tell us what your OS is. Have you tried connecting to the internet via another computer or your smart phone or a tablet. i.e does this problem manifest itself on different computers or only on the one.

The reason I mentioned your operating system is that acoording to the Combofix website it will only work up to Windows 8. So possibly Malwarebytes might be a better choice,

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Do not activate the free trial.

I have Windows 7, so I'll try malwarebytes! What exactly am I hoping it'll do? :0

It works on my grandparents laptops and my phone works too! It must be my PC!

It came up with 5 things, 4 potentially unwanted and 1 full blown malware! I removed them, and for some reason everything seems to be working, even faster than before this! If anything else comes up, I'll post it here, but malwarebytes worked for me! Thanks guys, means a bunch to me!

Well to be fair Combofix would,probably, worked just as well on Windows 7. But if Malwarebytes has sorted it good. I run Malwarebytes once a month on my computers and delete anything it picks up. If you did enable the free trial, as opposed to just the free program, you can disable the free trial in the control panel. Bottom right in little letters. If you don't do that Malwarebytes will stop working although you can download it and reinstall it again. There is a paid for version that does it all automatically that you may want to consider.

I opted out of the free premium trial, I made sure of that! It should all be ok for now, I'll see if anything else comes up! It could just be an issue with my ISP at this point, but we'll see!

This just in, it's still doing it!

It just happened again! But this is the first time it's happened in hours and it only lasted 30 seconds to a minute!

I'm really starting to think this may be an issue with my ISP or my modem! Is it time to call them?

Well it could be your ISP but if they are anything like our Brit ones they wont admit it LOL. It could also be your router. The router could be faulty and the only cure for that is to get a new one. I take that your broadband over the pond works the same as ours and if so then you will have a filter and it could be that. Again they are available quite cheaply from your local friendly computer shop or fom your ISP. the other thing that could cause it is interference. Now interference can come from anywhere and can be almost impossible to find the source. Things like a faulty street light, someones faulty telly, washing mahine etc. An intermittant break in your phone line etc etc etc. Obviously an intermitant line fault should show on your ISP's equipment as long as it happens when they are watching it. So as you can see if it's not something obvious like malware or a virus then basically it could be anything. I think that if you have an accommodating ISP (they rarely are) then give them a call and see where you go. We will still be here if you need any more advice but I think it's probably down to your ISP now.

Back
Top Bottom