Router Connection Help

Burke

Beta member
Hey Folks,

This is my first post. I'm stuck and need some advice. I replaced my cable modem last week. Now I can't get internet connectivity when the modem is connected to the router. To be honest, I've tried so many things that I can't tell you what I've done. I hired someone from a major computer chain, and he fooled around with my computers for about an hour and a half. Finally he told me that the router and vonage box must be bad. I can always get connectivity by running the modem (RCA) directly to my primary computer. I was suspicious of his conclusion (router and Vonage box going bad at the same time?), but I went out and bought a new router (Linksys WRT54G V.6) anyway, since my old one (Netgear) was a year old. My Vonage box is fine. I've connected that with the modem and the primary comptuter, but I'm still at a loss about how to fix the router issue. I'm running XP Home on my primary computer, and XP Pro on my laptop, if that makes a difference.

If you can help, I'm very appreciative. I'd really love to resolve this problem!

TIA,
Burke

When you replace a modem, the new one has to be provisioned before you can get online, at least that's how it was at Comcast. Your modem simply needs to be added to their system, so you can connect. You have to do this with the modem hooked directly to the computer, when you try and get online, it should take you to a registration page. If not, call your ISP. Once it's setup on the system, all you should have to do is unplug the modem, connect the cat5 cable to the router instead of the computer, then power the modem up, let it fully boot, then plug the router in. After this is all done, you will want to get into the router to configure it. You should be online then. I hope you wasn't charged anything from that national chain.

Back
Top Bottom