router advice

paul1968uk

Beta member
Hi

Im looking to invest in a router so i can use the laptop around the house and maybe get the desktop wireless as well.
Have no idea what i should be looking for make wise etc, i have been told that theres no point in looking at a 54 as it would be too slow running.
my internet connection is 2.3mbps.

D-Link and Linksys are two of the most well known brands. It's really going to be a matter of preference- meaning for every router someone says it's the greatest, there'll be someone that says its not. You should probably do some research on wireless routers, and the different standards, and then narrow down a couple of routers that support the latest features.

Hi guys
Right i bought a linksys router today and my next question is do i still need to use the modem box from my isp that came for wired broadband or is it discarded.

Thanks

Depends what you have bought, if ya have got a wireless ADSL router then there will be a modem built into it, but if ya just got a wireless router, then ya will need to hook up your modem aswell

paul1968uk said:
Hi guys
Right i bought a linksys router today and my next question is do i still need to use the modem box from my isp that came for wired broadband or is it discarded.

Thanks
i think you will still need it because you plug the ethernet cable from that into the new router you just bought to share the connection with the wireless and other computers.

Back
Top Bottom