Remote Desktop Help...

Stev Newbury

Beta member
Hi all - i'm new around here so be gentle :D

I have got a small network set up at home - one desktop used as a fileserver then a hub sending CAT 5 cable out to another desktop and a laptop so i can grab files easily when i need them (ie. music etc)
Question is can i control the server from the other desktop remotley?? At the moment the network is not connected to the internet cos the connection is in another room - not useful really!! As i understand it needs to be connected to the net for remote desktop to work - is this true??

All machines are running Windows XP and using an 8 port Netgear hub.

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!!

Yeah there should be no problems doing this, just use the ip address for the computer your connecting to.

I take it you are using XP pro, as the home version doesnt support it.

Yes the machine needs to connect directly to the net. MAke sure RD is enabled - control panle > system > remote

lol, I forgot how to use mstsc.. It's been a long time. Can someone take screen shots..

I don't know if where it asks for the username and the password if you're suposed to put the computer YOU'RE ONs name and pass or the computer you're going to.. and what to put for the domain :D I forget..

I can't find a place that explains this...

thanks

-Q

Ok, ok this is edited.

I see that it wants your name and pass of the computer you're on, and all it wants is the other computers name. There has to be something more to it though.. how can it go through tons of computers by the name when there can be multiple names that are the same. Then it says you can put the IP address but I want to connect to my computer at home and there are four computers connected and they all have the same ip :p or so i'm assuming.

:( help :D

you will need to be logged into your computer with administrative rights.
you must configure the computer that allows users to connect remotely.click on My Computer and click Properties.Allow users to connect remotely to this computer” on the Remote tab, check and click “OK”.click Start> Programs> Accessories> Communications> Remote Desktop Connection.Use the “username and password”to connect remotely

Back
Top Bottom