Remote computer access

Optimus Ping

Baseband Member
ok I have a remote computer that I can ping. It had VNC running on it but I cannot connect to it via VNC any longer. Is there a way through the command line that I can reach it. There is a program on there that my be hung up or not working correctly. I'm trying to see if there is a way that I can restart the pc from my office or if I can use a command line utility to trouble shoot it another way?

it's running NT I think or at most window's 2000 but probably not.

so as a list.

1. How can I connect to it via the command line.
2. Can I restart it remotely from the command line?
3. What trouble shooting or maintenance (such as disk clean maybe) can I do from the command line?

I can ping it so I know it's up and connected to the internet.

Thanks!

Ok so I went to the command line

net view

and it showed that computer

I see the shutdown command with -f for force and -r for restart. i'm not understanding the syntax though. Am I going in the right direction here? If I can see it on the network with net view, I should be able to start and stop specific programs and applications?

Tried a few variations of this.. but didn't work....

Shutdown -m \\unitname -r, -f
shutdown \\unitname -r -f

am I close?

Isn't there a way to use netsh and then ras? Not sure how to do that either! lol

Is there some sort of rdp command as well?

Starting VNC remotely

Can you start VNC remotely? on an NT box?

Ok so what I've found out are that the switches for the command lines in NT and other operating systems are different.

/r instead of -r etc.

I was actually able to use VNC to go into a different computer and then use that computer to go to network neighborhood and drag an updated version of UltraVNC but I did have to go there and install it and configure it and now I can remote access

but please leave this thread open. I need more information! lol

Option 1

You need to be a admin on that pc to use this, if not yo uneed to add a username / password to the SC command.

sc servername stop vncserver
sc servername start vncserver

service should be restared remotely.

Option 2
psexec.exe

if you don't have remote admin access you will need to put a username and password in with the psexec.exe command.

psexec \\servername cmd

now you have a remote cmd window

Option 1

You need to be a admin on that pc to use this, if not yo uneed to add a username / password to the SC command.

sc servername stop vncserver

service should be restared remotely.

Option 2
psexec.exe

if you don't have remote admin access you will need to put a username and password in with the psexec.exe command.

psexec \\servername cmd

now you have a remote cmd window

Have admin access so these commands sc servername stop vncserver

I can just type in the command line as is? Or how do I specify what computer I'm connecting to? One of my main problems is understanding the command line syntax.

I do appreciate the reply and the info and i'll be looking that up!

Back
Top Bottom