Reinstalling TCP/IP on Windows XP based computer.

NLAlston1

Baseband Member
Hello,

My sister has a problem setting up her Verizon DSL, and I hope that someone, here, may be able to help out. Everything is set up right, but the problem is that her computer is not recognizing the connection. I spoke to a Verizon tech, on the matter, who took me - via phone - through a host of things to try. It was determined that there was something wrong with her computer's registry and - though the tech could not walk me through the registry issue (due to liability issues) - I was advised to download document# 817571 from Microsoft's support site, and follow its guidance. I did so, and got up to the last step where it gives info on how to install TCP/IP on top of itself. The last steps read as such:
................................................................................................
(e). In the Copy manufacturer's files from box, type System_Drive_Letter:\windows\inf , and then click OK.

(f). In the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
.................................................................................................

After clicking 'OK' a "Select Device" box appeared, with the following message given: The specified location does not contain information about your hardware. Emails to Microsoft are just as costly as phone calls, and neither can be afforded at this present time. Does anyone know how I might be able to defeat the problem that we are facing, with this matter? Any and ALL help would be most appreciated.

NLA

Disregard this matter. I formatted my sister's computer, and now everything is set up & running smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom