RDT Losses Connection

jeffpoulsen

Baseband Member
I have remote desktop set up to an office network. I have several machines that use it there. I use a different port for each that is forwarded from the router to each machine on the default RDT port. The connection is made and works fine for most machines. But some loose connection after a few minutes. Then it takes some time to establish the connection again. It seems that the firewalls are allowing the connection. What could end the session like this? Thanks Jeff

Your firewalls may be interrupting your connection to them in some way. What kind of firewall do you have running and how is it setup? On network or locally on the workstation?

The users connect from inside the network, over VPN's as well as ove the internet. When connecting from the outside the connection is made and works well. This makes me think that the firewall's are not the problem. The local hosts use Norton or the Microsoft firewall. And after the connection is lost you can re-establish the connection again so I think this rules out the firewall settings changing or the firewall " starting " . I have shut down the firewall and this has not helped.

Hmm... there might just be interruptions or collisions on your network that is causing it to be disrupted. Since it can connect but then gets disconnected, that tells me that something is happening on the network while connected. I am not really sure how to troubleshoot that since I cannot take a look myself. Is there any kind of error that happens? Have you looked in your event viewer, it probably wont be very specific though... I couldn't find anything on the internet about losing connections with remote dekstop. Do you have anything to monitor your network, or maybe packet monitoring? Maybe that might help you find out what is happening. If I can think of anything else I will post it. Sorry man.

It seems the problem is with one machine that is serving. I don't think there is any network problems as this is the only problem we have. And I'm not aware of anything that uses these ports. I thought it could be the server itself. It's a new machine from Sony running XP Pro sp2.

Back
Top Bottom