Quick question, I hope.

hitmanwa

Baseband Member
Morning all,

I have an IP camera at work that I'm trying to connect to from home. Currently I can VPN into the network then remote desktop into a computer on the subnet. Is there a way to direct connect to the camera. I'll try to explain the setup as best I can.

From home, vpn into corp network.
1 Dell computer with 2 nic cards. 1 nic card for the corp network and 1 that connects to a switch.
The IP camera and 2 other computers are connected to the switch.

Thanks in advance,
Hit

Long as you know the IP of the camera should not be a problem whatsoever, from home VPN to your company open the software that came with the camera tell the software the IP address of the camera done.

Not related, but you don't have to use VPN with remote desktop. You can use remote desktop and directly connect to your computer at work. U need to configure your router though.

Thanks for the replies.

The camera is on a subnet and I can't connect to it using the software and the IP address. Do I have to add a route somewhere in there?

Can you ping the camera or anything in the sub net?

Also have you had the computer to work that has the cameras software? If you have has everything worked OK?

The computer that is on the network and the subnet can ping everything on the switch and the software works fine on that machine. It's the Dell that has 2 nic cards, 1 for the network and 1 to the switch.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I'm using PC Anywhere as well. The Dell has it installed as a gateway so from home I use vpn, access the gateway go through that computer on to the other machines on the switch. Hope that makes sense. :)

From home, I can ping the 1st nic card that connects the Dell to the network but not the 2nd nic card that connects it to the switch.

Hey re-read your post and I believe I know what is happening. Basically everything revolves around the Dell (All the headaches) . And you are using the Dell as a gateway/router. If this is this case you are not forming a sub network it is a private network. To tell for sure post the IP and subnet address of Nic 1 & 2 of the Dell machine, but I pretty much guarantee this is what's up, from what you have described.

What you can do is take the cable that is your corporate/internet plug that into the switch and take the Dell's Nic 1 and plug that into the switch as for Nic 2 remove the cable not needed. Re-boot everything that is on the switch so it can pick up new IP addresses.
Warning you have not really described your corporate network. So you might need a cable with a reverse pair. (which is no big deal) shortest is best and get straight through adapter. Your local computer place should have this stuff or even Radio Shack.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=776061&CatId=744

The above will not affect your PCAnywhere after it is up and running with IP addresses don't forget also your camera is going to have a new IP address.

Here's what you do.
Contact your ISP and get an extra static IP address.
Before removing the camera from where it is now, go in to the IP setup and program the IP address the ISP gave you in to it.
Disable the dhcp server that's built in to it and leave the subnet at the default address.
Put a switch at the modem and connect the modem, the router, and the camera to that switch.
Form a computer inside or outside your local net, get online and put in the IP address for the camera.
You should be able to hit it.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

Nic1- 10.3.4.24
Nic2- 220.6.5.129

Wouldn't plugging the corp Ethernet to the switch and so on make everything on the switch accessible to IT?

I don't have access to our isp or anything, that's all done at corporate.

Forgive the noobish questions, I'm still trying to learn all this. Prolly need to take a class or find some books on the subject.

Thanks a ton guys,
Hit

I know the problem now, the numbers tell the tail. The only real problem is you seem reluctant to let your IT department see the camera. If you did what I suggested it will work but yes it can be seen by your IT department.

BTW I was little unclear why you need the reverse cable. When you connect a computer to computer directly, or in this case a switch to switch directly you need a cable with a reverse pair. Some of your high end switches have a port just to hook up a switch to a switch but most don't.

As for your network (nic B) you are not sub-netting in any way shape or form, you have a completely different net work. When you use the Internet Connection sharing with Windows by default it forms a Class C private network. Without using some advanced configurations you are not going to be able to tunnel in for your camera. Putting this aside for a moment were did you get that 220.6.5.129 address?? That is a class C Public not private. By default settings on your Dell you should have got some sort of private addressing range like 192.168.0.1, unless there is something else on your network that gave the card that address (your network not the companies)

I'm not sure how far you want to go so I'm not going to type out to much more there is a few options one of them is your current configuration but you are going to need what ports the camera and software work off of, also be a good idea to change that Nic 2 the a Class C private like 192.168.0.1 and give the camera a static address 192.168.0.10 (whatever). Since you VPN to the Dell there is a option with your current configuration.
You could also get a little Linksys router but you will still need port numbers for the camera plus I can pretty much guarantee IT will discover at some point and time, especially if you have any shared resources on your Dell or they update your machine. So if you want more let me know.

Back
Top Bottom