Problems With Wireless Connection

EnishiSG

Solid State Member
Hi everyone.

I just bought a NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall WGT624 v3. I set up everything correctly (set up on my desktop), and everything seems to be working fine. The problem is, my laptop can't connect . I connect to the network, then it says "limited or no connectivity". The wireless card is built in. The wireless network requires a WEP key, and I entered it on my laptop. Once in a while I can connect and use the internet for about 20 seconds, then it disconnects again . I checked the details and it said "This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer." Could this have to do with anything? My laptop and desktop aren't in a network, if that what it means. When I try to repair the connection, it says "Could not renew your IP address". What can I do? Please help me before I have to return this thing.

Oh yeah... I previously had a different NETGEAR wireless router installed. The 11 Mbps MR814 v3. It's disabled and disconnected, but it still apppears on my laptop's wireless network list (I've refreshed, but it's almost always there). Could this be a problem?

EDIT: Just to clarify... My laptop can always connect to the wireless network, but it just says "limited or no connectivity". I can't access the internet at all.

EnishiSG said:
I checked the details and it said "This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer." Could this have to do with anything? My laptop and desktop aren't in a network, if that what it means.

First off ... yes your desktop and laptop are part of a network ... the network your Netgear is creating.

Basically, what's happening is your laptop is not receiving an assigned IP address from the Netgear router via DHCP. Your router, by default, should be issuing IP addresses via DHCP.

One thing you can try really quick is confirm that your wireless card on your laptop is configured to receive it's IP address automatically. Right-click My Network Places>>Properties>>Right-click Wireless connection>>select TCP/IP Properties. This will bring up a box showing either configured for automatically, or will have a bunch of numbers put in. If a bunch of numbers are in there ... then clear them by selecting "Obtain automatically ... " on both IP address and DNS. If not ... then you could potentially input an IP address within the range your Netgear is working with and get it to work that way. For example ... if the range it is working with is 192.168.1.x ... then the Netgear is probably 192.168.1.1. Give the wireless connection an address of 192.168.1.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.1 and DNS server 192.168.1.1. If anything ...this will definitely connect you to the router as long as you also have the SSID and WEP key input correctly.

Hope this helps.

You should use static DHCP. Using static DHCP will make connecting to the wifi router faster and easier since it doesnt ask for an address. Ive had the same problem you had when I used regular DHCP. Now, I assign all my computers with a static ip address. To use static DHCP, use the router's web interface and look for static DHCP. Enable it and assign each computer an ip address. On the client side, manually configure TCP/IP settings.

Back
Top Bottom