Problems getting an internet connection

mortimormcsnerd

Beta member
Hello all. This is my first post and I am really hoping someone can help me with my problem. I have a Dell Latitude D630 and everything that is in it (wireless card, network card, etc.) is what came in it from Dell. I have made no modifications to it at all. I'm not VERY good with computers, but I know enough to get by. About 3 weeks ago, right after I installed a new wireless router to my network, my computer stopped connecting to the internet. It would show that it was connected to the network with a strong signal, but no matter what browser I tried, I always got "Page cannot be displayed". I tried restarting the modem and router to no avail. I have another laptop, three smartphones, and a PlayStation 3 that all connect to the network and can browse the internet with no problems. So I decided to just re-install Windows XP Home on the computer, but now I am running into what I think is a problem with the drivers. I went to the Dell support website and downloaded what I think are the right drivers and burned them to a CD, but every time I go to Control Panel < System < Hardware < Device Manager and double click on the device and select Reinstall Driver and get the comp to search on my CD, it displays "The wizard could not find the software on your computer for..." I am at a loss. I don't know where to go from here. Any and all help would be very appreciated and I will answer any questions to help resolve this problem. Thanks everyone and have a great day. A picture of the problem can be found at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic303918.html

open up a command prompt
Start > Accesories > Command prompt

Type this into window that opens.

ping google.com

Then type this into the command prompt (do not close and open a new command prompt window you must use the same window.)

c: results.txt

Then close the command prompt window and then go to your C: drive on your computer there will be a file called results.txt copy the information and post it. This will help eliminate if the driver is a problem or if its administration settings on the computer.

Most of Dell's drivers are "install files". Instead of telling the devices to update drivers go to My Computer and browse the CD. Each of the folders/drivers on the CD should have an Install file. Once you run these all the drivers should install and update automatically.

Back
Top Bottom