problems adding a second wireless router on network

MidwestComputer

In Runtime
Hi Guys
I just went a bought a new wireless router today and the router i got is a belkin wireless g router and when I try to connect the router to the network it doesn't work so here is my network setup I have cat5 coming from the outside box that is FTTH and I use linksys wired router for getting my computers connected and I got a linksys wireless b router and I also go linkskey 16 port network switch for my server and on now I am connecting the belkin is using cat6 cable connected to my 16 port switch then my network switch is connected to the linksys wired router so I need to figure out how to setup my belkin router up.

I can but I cant figure out how to get the correct IP address and stuff like that I have other wireless router onto the network at the same time. and when I try to change the internal ip address to 192.168.1.3 on the belkin it gives me a error of Error (ip address is private) something like that.

I would recommend turning off DHCP on the your new belkin. and anything else, that you don't to be giving out an ip, like the wireless b router.

Just another question why are you using cat6 from the switch? You should only need cat5 from anything right now. Plus cat6 is way more expensive than cat5.

Cheers!

You can only have 1 acting dhcp server on a network. As stated above turn the dhcp server off and set the router to function as an access point.

yea turn off dhcp. if you need access to both router config pages and they have the same ip, eg: 192.168.1.1 (otherwise only the dhcp one will show) then in the router setup theres an option to change the default gateway.

You can only have 1 acting dhcp server on a network.

Not entirely true.

Really all that needs to happen is the WAN ip address of the new wireless router be assigned a 192.168.1.x address statically. Like you would if you had a static ip address from your ISP. This is assuming your server is issuing DHCP in the range of 192.168.1.x.

IP Address 192.168.1.10 (available ip address from DHCP server, it can be statically assigned)
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 (DHCP Server ip address)
If the server is handling DNS ... put in 192.168.1.1 for DNS server as well.

Then have your LAN ip address range on your router be something else ... by changing the 3rd octet to something like 192.168.75.1. All traffic from 192.168.75.x will route out to 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP Server will then do the rest. The new router can issue DHCP range of 192.168.75.x.

What throws me is that you say you have a wired router connecting your computers that are not wireless, yet you have a 16 port switch. Why not just use the 16 port switch? That's what it's for. 'Course I understand if it's not possible due to location of computers to switch.

Back
Top Bottom