packets sent but not received

tylerbe992

Baseband Member
hello!
i am at my friends house for a week and i need internet on my PC and her PC...problem is when i hook up the linksys and all neither internet's work and the packets just keep sending and dont receive...she has verizon for her internet provider...

please help

make sure you're not hooking either computer to the "Modem In" connector (usually a different color than the rest).

well i have a blue, gray, and white connectors...isnt the blue one suppose to be the wire that goes to the "internet" port in the linksys?

On the router you will have a port that is labeled WAN that is where the ethernet cord from the modem goes. Then you should have some other ports labeled 1-4 or however many ports there are. That is where you plug the etherenet cables that run to your computer.

Here are a couple of other things that you should try. Once everything is plugged in correctly, open command prompt, run > command. Then in the command window you should type ipconfig, and see what you get. You should come up with an ip address of 192.168.1.x, that means that you are connected to the network. If you get an address like: 254.x.x.x then you aren't connected to the network.

If you get a 192.168.1.x, then try to ping google.com. Just type ping www.google.com, then hit enter, and see what your sent and received is. If you have any other issues, then just post them up here and we will help you.

Cheers!

if your connecting via ethernet then go to network connections. right click the network card, and go to properties. go to tcp/ip and make sure its all set on automatic (assuming dhcp is turned on). not sure if thats the case as its usually on automatic by default, but worth a go.
has anything else been edited in the router settings?

wmorri,
i did what u said to do and i got this....

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\DOTTI>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.85.139
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\DOCUME~1\DOTTI>

and my connection said "limited or no connectivity" while everything was hooked up...

its not connected then. try doing what i said ^
also mac filtering may be enabled.

Do what dude_se said. Also, make sure that DHCP is enabled, which it should be.

Back
Top Bottom