Odd wireless connection issues on a friend's laptop.

linnerd40

In Runtime
Hey CF members! I am hoping that you can help me help a friend who is having trouble with his wireless internet. Ok, here goes, this is exactly what he told me:

He has a laptop that USED to run Windows XP Home SP2. His brother told him Windows XP Professional was a lot better, so he installed it. During installation Windows asked him to activate his copy of Windows. He said Ok, but he needed to set up an internet connection. He doesn't know much about computers so he just chose all of the defaults. Didn't work... so he just continued. Of course, upon boot, the wireless internet connection did not work. He took it to a tech guy at a school and he installed the drivers for the Wireless card. The internet works... but in an odd way. He can download updates from Microsoft using the updater, but he can't view webpages in a browser. Please help this man by replying to my post... I couldn't help him via phone, but I am pretty sure I could fix it if I was "there" with the laptop he is having troubles with (I can help with Linux via indirect contact.. but for MS problems I have to be there). Maybe one of you, with more experience with Windows, can help this man. PLEASE REPLY SOON! I am leaving in 3 days and will be unable to contact him after that...
Thanks!

linnerd40 said:
The internet works... but in an odd way. He can download updates from Microsoft using the updater, but he can't view webpages in a browser.

I'd say his internet browser is working "offline". Open Internet Explorer>>File>>Work Online/Offline. If that doesnt work, it might be that a proxy server has been configured. I'd check in Tools>>Internet Options>>Connections Tab>>LAN Settings>>Clear the 3 check marks.

Back
Top Bottom