Not satisfied with my internet speed...

silverad00

Beta member
I updated my Roadrunner to the highest available, Its the Roadrunner turbo with powerboost, which says speeds up to 15mbps. I ran a test at 2wire.com and multiple tests results and im at 3.5 and 3.6 mbps. My computer is brand new, just built last week, I also just bought a brand new wireless router, but the computer is connected with a cable. The router is a Netgear N600 wireless dual band gigabyte router. Some other info is when i open the network and sharing center and click on local area connection it says speed is 1 gbps.

So anyways, Im not real smart with computers, but i think i should be getting more the 3.5 mbps, when i looked at other peoples post and they are getting 10-15 with roadrunner.

Oh yeah, the only other system using the internet is my xbox 360

Yeah, you definitely should be getting more than 3.5, way more. I would call Roadrunner and see what they can do, maybe you need to have a new modem as well.

A lot has to do with time of day, how busy the node you're on is at the time you run the test. But yeah I'd get tech support a ring and see what they can do.

Do you know when they sell you a 15mb connection they sell it as "You can get UP to 15mb" but 3.5 is nowhere near 15. I think its best to call them.

Do you know anyone on your street that also roadrunner?? Are they getting simular speeds?

WOW, just got off the phone, 2wire.net must suck, as i went to speedtest.net like they said and im getting 26.2 mbps right now.

it also depends on where your testing your speed.. if I test near by, its fast, if I test half way around the world, its slow..

I'm calling BS on 2wire's test. Just ran it myself and compaired to tests from speedtest.net and Speakeasy - Speed Test and 2wire told me 3Mbps while the other two told me speeds of 17-19Mbps which is much closer to the 20 we pay for, and my downloads reflect those speeds.

Re-run the tests on a different provider. Time Warner will tell you to use speakeasy if you call them anyways (speaking from experience there).

Yeah... I'm going to go with celegorm's post.

My results at Speakeasy:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 1470 kbps (183.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

2Wire told me I had 1.3 Mb/s

However, I just ran another test and they told me 1.4 Mb/s? I don't have a very fast speed though, so any error may not be obvious with these numbers due to them rounding/truncating it. Anyhow, with internet advertised as that, you're never going to really see the top speeds. Sort of the same way Comcast advertises that PowerBoost or whatever they call it. It's /up to/.

Huh, I have 6MB service from my ISP. These are the results I got when testing bandwidth:

Speakeasy - Speed test: 21.35Mbps down, 0.93Mbps up.

2Wire speed test: 4.8Mbps down

2Wire is way off!

Back
Top Bottom