New pc doesnt connect to the internet

Daviss

Baseband Member
Hello all.
I recently finished building my new pc. I installed windows xp and all the drivers for the mobo and graph card. But when i plug in the internet cable to the pc, it says that its connected but the internet doesnt work. I tried restarting the modem and router (theyre connected to each other) but that didnt work. So how do i get the internet to work?

It is set to obtain an IP and DNS server address automatically same as the laptop that is plugged to the cable right now. It was obtaining a different IP than the laptop so i manually wrote in the IP and DNS server addresses from the laptop and the internet on the pc was working. Then i had it switched off for a few hours and its not working again. But now when i pluged the cable back in the laptop, the internet is working on the laptop.

Do i need to somehow drop the ip address from the laptop so that it can automatically give it to the pc? Because I dont want to manually write it in every day. Or should i just call my annoying ISP support line..?

Yes. And i need the internet via cable only on the pc. Laptop will use wireless but its broken atm.. So i had the cable plugged to the laptop while i built the pc.

ok, did you check your router settings? Check and see how they give the ip's out.

Also is it giving you that connection "Limited or no connectivity thing"

hmm.. i dont seem to be able to check the router settings.. and no its not giving that message. when i plug the cable into the pc, it acquires the ip and says "connected" but the internet doesnt actually work.

Well, I called my ISP and they actually helped me fix the problem. There was some kind of problem with the router handing out ip adresses.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom