New cheap wired router problems

CBrooks

In Runtime
I just bought 2 new $20 routers from newegg because my last two were struck by lightning at the same time..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833117301

One of them sits at my dads house and the other one is at mine. I have the one at my dads house connected to the cable modem in the WAN port and I have an ethernet cable that is connected in the same router that runs underground and into my router that is connected in a LAN port. I have my router's dhcp turned off.

At first everything seemed to be running fine but i started losing the internet every 10-20 minutes.. I logged into my dads router and found that it keeps failing renew its DHCP lease and i'm figuring that is its problem.

If I went the Static route would it solve this problem or does anyone have a solution?

yea just ditching dhcp should work if you set it up on each of the computers, although im not sure why its doing that. only thing i can suggest for a fix is a reset of the main router

Hello,
Well honestly I have a quick question for you. Why are you using two routers insted of a router and a hub, or more better a router and a switch. Because with two routers you are going to have a lot of problems that you are experiencing now, because the one router at your dads house is taking the IP address from your ISP and splitting it off between those ports on that router and then the one that goes to your house is splitting again, and the firewalls and the way a router splits these packets are what is causing you to loose connectivity.

If you went with a hub or a switch I perosnally believe you would see alot of better performance, mostly a switch, I do not recommend a Hub, because of their lack of collision avoidance and slow bandwidth they provide, but they are a cheaper alternative and will work, just not as good as a switch or bridge.

Thanks,
Shawn
ShawnsITSolutions

Back
Top Bottom