Networking an office?

roadrage1

Beta member
Hi, i recently said that i would help somebody out to help them get their office networked. Any way i told them to get an ISP to get a line feed in so that we could connect to it. I assumed that they would install a connection in along with some sort of router. They have not but instead they have a small box(about 6" by 8") on the wall that looks like a telephone exchange. There is another cable that come out from this that looks similar to CAT 5 but is about twice the width with much more multi-coloured cables within. Sorry if i'm a bit vague. Can anyone say whether i will be able to install a LAN type network on this?

thanks
RR :confused:

roadrage said:
Hi, i recently said that i would help somebody out to help them get their office networked. Any way i told them to get an ISP to get a line feed in so that we could connect to it. I assumed that they would install a connection in along with some sort of router. They have not but instead they have a small box(about 6" by 8") on the wall that looks like a telephone exchange. There is another cable that come out from this that looks similar to CAT 5 but is about twice the width with much more multi-coloured cables within. Sorry if i'm a bit vague. Can anyone say whether i will be able to install a LAN type network on this?

thanks
RR :confused:

That box they have is likely a PBX, which is a switching device for telephones.

First off you need someone who knows what their doing to install the network, and you likely will want a domain in a buisness enviroment.

Thanks for that. I know a little, I have some entry level qualifications and have networked some small environments. I suggested an ISP to provide a modem inorder to connect a router to. They are only conecting five machines with a view to expand. I know they could keep it as a peer network but its not the ideal.

Back
Top Bottom