ok DO this
1. Plug the wired computer into one of the routers ports *not the internet port* (if you have internet the Internet port should already be used) *usually there is an internet port then port 1 port 2 port 3 port 4 ect..* (plug into the Port 1 or 2 ect...
2. If the router is powered on, you should have status Lights blinking on the back of your hardlined NIC card. Check this now
3. See if you are getting an IP address (start/run/cmd/ipconfig)
4.. Use your laptops wireless recivier to connect to the wireless router.
(view wireless networks/connect to the correct SSID/see if you are getting an IP address, start/run/cmd/ipconfig)
5. I would run the Network ID wizard.
network ID can be found by (right click my computer/properties/computer name/Network ID)
set the workgroups to the same name ect..
also run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer, click Start -> Control Panel -> Network And Internet Connections -> Setup Or Change Your Home Or Small Office Network.
6. After that ping the laptop via the command (start/run/cmd/ping ***.***.***.***) (***.***.***.***) = the IP address of the opposing computer
and ping the desktop with the laptop the same way.
7. If you get replies from both sides you should be good to go.
8. Fireup the game, go to multiplayer, switch it to LAN, and have fun kill orcs