Netgear Router question...

DevenD

Beta member
Today the hard disk on my old computer decided to fail on me so I purchased a new PC. However I tried to hook my router up to this new computer and I can't connect to the internet through it. I don't know much about computers when it comes to troubleshooting the technical stuff. Although it's telling me my Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP address and it's not even detecting my router. Is there something specific I have to do in order to get my old router to work with this new computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is a very open ended question. First off, what was the old setup? Was your router filtering connections via MAC address? Was it statically assigned an IP, or was DHCP picking up from the Router? I would assume your router has NAT enabled on it, so as to host an internal IP network. Also, I would make sure you are using a correct CAT5e cable. Make sure the pinouts match on both ends of the cable (look through the clear ends if possible and make sure the 8 wires match). If you are trying to use wireless, you need to make sure your access protocols match up (WEP, WPA, 802.11x, etc). Without more specific information on how your network works, there's tons of possibilities what could be the issue, and trying to solve your problem in one post is near impossible.

have you or anyone done any changes on the router?? Usually all you have to do is plug your rj45 cable from your PC to the router and you will then get an automatically assigned ip. Do you know if your last PC had a static IP (You hard-coded an ip on your computer)

Back
Top Bottom