net cutting out...

Jsy

Baseband Member
I'm running Roadrunner and its been great, but a few months ago it started to randomly cut out on me. The weird thing about it cutting out on me is I can play WoW and talk to friends on msn, aim, and yahoo, but if I wanted to surf the net it wouldn't let me. If i wanted to get it to work again I would have to reset up my network config and it would work fine for a few seconds, mins, or even an hour if I was lucky enough.

My dad and I replaced the modem and router. The brighthouse tech came out and replaces the wiring around the house and basically everything he said he could do. I have no idea whats going on. I will run command prompt and type in ipconfig/release "enter" ipconfig/renew "enter." This the only way I can actually get my net up and running again. Downside is I DC from everything I was doing previously. I am out of ideas. Brighthouse is tech support says they are reading us fine, but I keep on getting DCed where I can't surf the net, but I can be on aim chatting to my friends.

I live in Bakersfield, CA if that helps at all.

Jon

I"m running Linksys. We were running Linsys before. The entire house is running a lan line, but even if a wifi is hooked up it will still lag out.

Is the the same model router as before?

At any rate I would try a firmware upgrade. I had that issue with my D-link once and firmware fixed it all for me.

We were using Linksys before and we replaced them with brand new ones.

I'm wandering if this is to do with your ISP,is this only happening on your computer and not on any of the others in the house?

but if I wanted to surf the net it wouldn't let me. If i wanted to get it to work again I would have to reset up my network config and it would work fine for a few seconds, mins, or even an hour if I was lucky enough.

Are you running a firewall on your computer? Also, if AIM and Yahoo and other IM software works and you can communicate with your friends then it's pretty obvious it's NOT your ISP and more to do with a configuration/setting security software on your system. btw, if your *ISP* was the culprit you wouldnt be able to communicate to you're homeboys over the net using INSTANT MESSAGING SOFTWARE ;)Just my two cents. ;)

hehe. Yes it all PCs in the house are having the same problems. I have had friend's notebooks hooked up to the network and same deal. I'll try the firmware update :).

Well if all the PC are having the same problem it definitely sounds like your router, are you using its own built in firewall, if so try disabling it and using a standard one on your computer, and yes a router firmware update would be a good start as well, if that does not work I would look at trying a different brand of router, have you got an old modem anywhere? you could try installing that temporary for say a few hours just to see if it cut out then, if it did I would then be thinking it is you ISP or you telephone line but as you have had it rewired it shouldn't be that.
If it was to work fine with a different modem then you know its the router and I would change brands.

Back
Top Bottom