Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
Talking need help pz

i can play lan games on my school's proxy with my friends, but can i use the same port to access internet???

thanx
__________________

__________________
noojoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: need help pz

I think so, unless they banned the connections.
__________________

__________________
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
Captain Pooka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Default Re: need help pz

well, your computer should already be able to access the internet, if your playing with your friends over the network...
__________________
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pooka
well, your computer should already be able to access the internet, if your playing with your friends over the network...
That all depends on what ports they have allowed open on the firewall.

port for the internet is 80
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Baseband Member
 
ceannfeachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 22
Default Re: need help pz

Chances are, you'll be able to join games over the internet, unless the ports are blocked at the school's firewall. But you won't be able to host a game (create a server) that'll be visible on the Internet. To do that would require that the IT staff specifically create a rule that forwards those ports to the computer you're using.
__________________
ceannfeachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceannfeachd
Chances are, you'll be able to join games over the internet, unless the ports are blocked at the school's firewall.
ceannfeachd, in the future read the post above yours before you say the same exact thing. and if you do say the same exact thing, give recognition to the original poster.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
That all depends on what ports they have allowed open on the firewall.

port for the internet is 80
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Baseband Member
 
ceannfeachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 22
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
ceannfeachd, in the future read the post above yours before you say the same exact thing. and if you do say the same exact thing, give recognition to the original poster.....
Chill out. I wasn't trying to steal your thunder. If you had read my entire post, you'd know that I didn't say the EXACT same thing. I expanded on something that others had said. That is, that you should be able to join a game over the WAN (make an outgoing connection), but hosted games will not be seen on the WAN connection unless someone with administrative access to the firewall specifically forwards the ports for the game to the IP address of the PC running the game.

By the way, 80 is the default port for HTTP, but many games reserve ports above the first 1,024.
__________________
ceannfeachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceannfeachd
Chill out. I wasn't trying to steal your thunder.
Stay away from that thunder.

Thanks for the Input

oh and BTW (port 80) = HTTP is used when browsing the internet (as i already mentioned)

and one more thing.

Fix your Signature, Its not supposed to be over 4 lines.

dont wanna upset Brookfield

EDIT: thanks for fixing it
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 825
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
ceannfeachd, in the future read the post above yours before you say the same exact thing. and if you do say the same exact thing, give recognition to the original poster.....
Whoa LOG! Guess it's stings when others do what you have done, huh? I especially liked the demand that credit be given to the original poster [of original information]. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you ... seems fitting for a Lamb of God ... wouldn't you agree?

I'd be careful with the demands ... such as telling other users to keep sigs under 4 lines and whatnot ... or did I miss the announcement that you've been "ordained" a Mod on ComputerForums.org?
__________________
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCech
Whoa LOG! Guess it's stings when others do what you have done, huh? I especially liked the demand that credit be given to the original poster [of original information]. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you ... seems fitting for a Lamb of God ... wouldn't you agree?

I'd be careful with the demands ... such as telling other users to keep sigs under 4 lines and whatnot ... or did I miss the announcement that you've been "ordained" a Mod on ComputerForums.org?
First off dont highjack this guys thread to talk to me, use a feature called
Private messaging.

*And as far as repeating what others have said* Like i told you over the PM the same has happened to me.
and i apologized. for doing it to you (on a totally differnt thread)

and NO I dont agree this is my lambofgod http://www.lamb-of-god.com/sacrament/

sometimes people dont read the rules to forums or arnt aware of the rules. I Simply gave him a Heads Up. And he took my advice and fixed it.
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
Daemon Poster
 
Steff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,435
Send a message via MSN to Steff
Default Re: need help pz

If its blocked, its blocked for a reason. There are heaps of ways i've found our kids trying to get passed our filter..but the funny thing is i'm sat watching what they are going on and blocking it so its pointless and plus they get into trouble soo. There is one way which will bypass our filter i dont think its a good idea to share though lol
__________________
Steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 825
Default Re: need help pz

LoG ... have you given credit to other users that you've "hijacked" info from? Don't ask for it unless you're willing to give it all the same. You make a valid point that turning a thread into something else is wrong, I give you that (notice the credit being given). However ... I think it's necessary that everyone knows your M.O.

Moving on.
__________________
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCech
Moving on.
Yea its about time you said that..

Any updates noojoo?
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 825
Default Re: need help pz

snappy comeback

And why would noojoo report anything? You'd just repeat it.
__________________
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:08 AM   #15
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
Default Re: need help pz

well they blocked the internet access except to some specific sites like bbc.co.uk...

ive looked around the internet for ways to bypass the filter and found out you can with an ssh client..

however, this requires a remote host to be opened all day right?
i dont think i can do that because i only have one computer..

thus i was wondering, maybe if i went on my internet explorer's lan options and changed the port to which i connected to the proxy to.. aka my lan game's port, could i access the internet 100% through that gaming port which is opened on my network??

or is this certain port only opened because im not connecting to the proxy when i play lan games, but to the other comps on the network??
__________________
noojoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:58 AM   #16
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by noojoo
well they blocked the internet access except to some specific sites like bbc.co.uk...

ive looked around the internet for ways to bypass the filter and found out you can with an ssh client..

however, this requires a remote host to be opened all day right?
i dont think i can do that because i only have one computer..

thus i was wondering, maybe if i went on my internet explorer's lan options and changed the port to which i connected to the proxy to.. aka my lan game's port, could i access the internet 100% through that gaming port which is opened on my network??

or is this certain port only opened because im not connecting to the proxy when i play lan games, but to the other comps on the network??
This likely wont work as their routers will deny ALL HTTP traffic, or they will redirect ALL HTTP traffic to a proxy server, and than that proxy will than filter all HTTP traffic.
__________________
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: need help pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by noojoo
well they blocked the internet access except to some specific sites like bbc.co.uk...

ive looked around the internet for ways to bypass the filter and found out you can with an ssh client..

however, this requires a remote host to be opened all day right?
i dont think i can do that because i only have one computer..

thus i was wondering, maybe if i went on my internet explorer's lan options and changed the port to which i connected to the proxy to.. aka my lan game's port, could i access the internet 100% through that gaming port which is opened on my network??

or is this certain port only opened because im not connecting to the proxy when i play lan games, but to the other comps on the network??

And if you do end up getting through i would be careful.
All that network traffic in and out will be logged by the firewall, and depending on how strict the administrator is around there: hey may come down on you..

Let us know if it works
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #18
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
Default Re: need help pz

yeah.. well, im not sure that really helps..

is it possible to use an ssh client and tunnel (using socks) to some random dude's computer halfway round the world's remote host... and use his internet connection?

because, im sure theres a way to get by... for instance, when i type google.com into the address bar i can see the ip address of google pop on the bottom left hand side of the webpage..

also, i can tracert and ping google!

thus, i think it is a software blocker, and there MUST be some way to get past this?

isnt there some type of http encryption through socks protocol program? or am i just talking nonsense??

thanx guyzz
__________________

__________________
noojoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×