Need help

TM

Solid State Member
HI, I'm new, sorry if this is in the wrong section but. I got a dell latitude about a year ago and since I tried to install a wireless adapter. Can someone help me so I can use my computer on the internet by plugging in the ethernet cord, ever since it tried the adapter the ethernet cord doesnt work. Can somebody please help me? thanks

My first question is did you have success installing the wireless adapter?

Next want to go back to using your Ethernet cord. OK. what you need to do is if this is xp you need to go to start ->connect to ->show all connections ->right click on your wireless icon and choose disconnect or disable ->then right click on your LAN connection and choose connect or enable.

That should fix it for you.

Cheers!

Its a 2000, I already uninstalled it and the ethernet cord still wont work. Any suggestions?

Well it is good to hear that you had success in uninstalling your wireless. Did you check your connection setting to make sure that LAN was connected or enabled? If you did and the connection isn't working still, then the next step would be a pwer cycle.

To do this you would shutdown your computer. Then unplug the power cord to your modem and router if you have one. Leave everything off for about 2 min. Then plug the modem in first. Let the modem power all the way up. Next plug in your router (if you have one), and let it power all the way up. Then turn you computer on.

Doing a power cycle basically lets the modem clear it memory. This will allow any new cables or devices to be registered when you plug everything back in.

Lets see if this helps!

Cheers!

I am so mad right now. I tried everything and still the internet doesnt work. I have a linksys adapter that I would try but I dont have the cd. Is there a reset option or something that will put it back like I had it before the other adapter? Please help, I am just so mad and cant afford a new laptop.

It's possible that the installation of the wireless adapter disabled the regular wired adapter. Try this:

In the Control Panel, go to System. Click on the Hardware tab at the top. Click the Device Manager button. Now, look for a device under Network Adapters that has a red X over it (meaning it is disabled). If your network card has an X over it (disabled), go to its properties and reenable it.

Back
Top Bottom