Need help

Feircepc

Daemon Poster
how do i make a network? i wanna hook up all my home pcs to one printer is that possible? if so can someone tell me im confused about all this.

Yes, it is possible. There are a few ways to do it. One is a print server device you can get. Another way is to have a computer that is hooked up to the printer allowing service to print on all the other computers (assuming file and print sharing is enabled), or you get network printer so yo can print direct on a network. SInce that latter may be out of the question because you may already have a regular inkjet printer already.

How many computers are we talking about? Do you want internet sharing too? That's obvisoue, of course you do. You have to use a router for that. These days, wireless networking is the way to go.

i got a linksy router. and yes i do want internet. i got a all in one printer from hp its the reader and copy faxe and that whole thing. i just want to hooke up 3-4 computers to the printer thats all.

Is it a wireless router or a cabled one? It doesn't really matter anyways, just wireless allow easy access to computers further away from the access point than having to route CAT5 cables all over the house :)

Most new Linksys routers have 4 ports so this is going to work perfect for you. If you want wireless setup, you need to get LInksys wireless cards for all the PC you wish to be added on to the network. YOu can have at least one wired one. That is the one that is directly connected to the printer. At least, that is how I configured mine. The others can all be wireless.

When you plug everything together, you should automatically have internet access to all PCs.

To enable print sharing, you have go into My Network Places and select Setup a small home or office network on the left side of the window. Go through the wizard. Do this for each computer you are networking to the printer. This will also enable file sharing automatically too. It's a lot of fun to do and having a network increases productivity by doing less work.

After file and print sharing is enabled, then you need to "Add new printer" from the print folder. You will be using a network printer this time, not a local printer. Follow the wizard again. It will scan the network for a printer and will find your all in one printer for you automatically to install. Do this for each PC too. That's it.

After all that, you can configure router security too. Make sure your firewall accepts the IP and'or MAC address for each PC, other wise, no network activity.

Feircepc said:
how do i make a network? i wanna hook up all my home pcs to one printer is that possible? if so can someone tell me im confused about all this.
may i suggest this site http://64.233.161.99

Feircepc said:
sorry a little confusing but i have no clue what to do.
what internet do you have DSL?, Cable?

Back
Top Bottom