Modem or Router problem???

I'm having serious problems with my internet! I'm not sure if it's my modem or my router. My internet will shut itself off periodically about every half hour, sometimes even more then then, like once every five minutes. I believe it's the modem because I constanty get a positive Ethernet dectetion, but I still question whether which it is. Any ideas as to what may be causing my internet to malfunction?

If you go straight from the PC to the modem make sure you power cylce the modem by unplugging the power cord from the modem for 30 seconds AFTER the computer is connected. If you dont do that the modem wont know you switched anything. What kind of modem do you have?

burton_o6 said:
If its ethernet, the modem will recongnize the switch regardless of a powercycle or not

That is incorrect. Modems lock onto the MAC address of the device connected to it. If you switch what device is connected to it then you must power cycle the modem in order for it to see that device.

Now for that particular modem you would want to watch your internet LED. if that light is solid you have a internet connection TO the modem. In that case bypass your router and try to connect (remember to power cycle like i explained abovev). Then restart the PC. If you connect to the internet then your router is the issue and you should called the router manufacturer. Now lets say that the internet light is blinking or off. This means there is no connection To the modem. check your connections and call your ISP.

Back
Top Bottom