Major drops in internet speeds - PLEASE help

cctaylor88

Solid State Member
I went from ~400 Megabits per second to ~5. I'm pulling my hair out. My ISP is WOW (Wide Open West) of course there is nothing on their end, no outages, no help offered. I have reset both my modem and router several times.

The only thing that has changed recently was me updating Windows 10 (I didn't notice any internet issues after downloading the updates though.. but now a few days later I'm really worried with these speeds).

I currently have the TP-Link AC1900 Router and the Netgear CM600 Modem I have never "updated drivers" or "checked firmware" etc etc on these devices. Nor on my computer. Seeing as how I've never done it I'm at a loss and would greatly appreciate any information and tips you can offer along with HOW to "check the drivers on your router" etc.

I'm running Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.778)

Again, I really appreciate any help you're able to offer. I'm at a total loss here, and as you can imagine 5 Megabits/second is virtually nothing and my house cannot operate off of it.

EDIT:I'm finding when I reboot my PC I may get some vast improvement (going up to 150-500 Megabits) but then after a few minutes I'm once again crawling along. For example I'm now connected directly to the modem, just did a reboot and got 153 down, now 5min later I got 4 down..

Back
Top Bottom