Lousy internet rececption 1Mbps w/ 5 bars of signal strength

stevethebrain

In Runtime
Lousy internet rececption 1Mbps w/ 5 bars of signal strength

The initial internet connection is 144Mpbs then it drops to 1Mpbs.

I have the router about 75feet away from the PC

Using a roswill RXN180 USB type network adaptor.

please need suggestions to improve internet rececption
Thanks STB

is there anything around or in between your router that would make it interfere with the radio frequencies of the router? ie. baby monitor, microwave, wireless head set. and also look at the config of your router and see if you have a setting to put the router to transmit and receive over 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz.

There is a status screen somewhere on the router's page on the web browser, usually 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, showing the downstream and upstream details and related stuff. I think it will give use some information on the situation at hand if you post it here. Even if it's USB, you can access it since you're connected wireless.

And how did you measure and found the 1mbps?

There is a status screen somewhere on the router's page on the web browser, usually 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, showing the downstream and upstream details and related stuff. I think it will give use some information on the situation at hand if you post it here. Even if it's USB, you can access it since you're connected wireless.

And how did you measure and found the 1mbps?
Hello smart guy here's a screen shot attached of the internet singal strength.

I right click on the Win7 toolbar (the graph of signal strength)
Then right click on my router, then click status.

this is the network adaptor I'm using
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056
to recieve the WiFi from the router.
Thanks STB

Attachments

• screenshotineternetsignal.jpg
    screenshotineternetsignal.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
is there anything around or in between your router that would make it interfere with the radio frequencies of the router? ie. baby monitor, microwave, wireless head set. and also look at the config of your router and see if you have a setting to put the router to transmit and receive over 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz.
the only other wireless device I have is desktop PC however it's only used as a TV recorder I usalley never connect it to the net.

router only has a 2.5ghz setting.

Hello again.

That is the network signal and connection speed btw not the internet's. If this is the case, it is probably the wireless adapter's settings or the USB connection recognition by Windows. Try updating the drivers and set it up properly and reconnecting to another USB port, preferably from the motherboard directly.

However, if the internet package is less than 1mbps in the first place, then our situation here has no problems at all. Any idea what package you are subscribed for from the internet provider? The 144mbps in the original post, if you saw in the same place in the screenshot, is the network's not the internet's. You can connect to the router it self and see the real internet speed.

If you have difficulties to know the internet speed, try connecting to the router directly with a network cable and test the speed on speedtest.net

Hope this helps.

What is the up/down speeds your ISP is supposed to be providing?
Is it cable or DSL?
How's it brought in? Copper wire or fiber optic?
What modem/router do you have? Sometimes it's as simple as rebooting them.
What type of computer are you having the problem with? Lap or desk.
You say it's 75 feet away. How many walls are you have to go through? Plumbing and electrical can cause problems.

Signal strength at 75 feet has nothing to do with speed unless there's some kind of interference. I have 3 bars and the access point is 100 feet away. I get 20 down and 10 up. And it's having to plow through some serious concrete and wood.
It seems to me the root of the problem is the packets having to be repeated over and over. The hardware keeps stepping down the speed until it finds a speed where the packets don't have to be repeated as much if ever.

Another thing that will drive down speeds is software running in the background phoning home. AV and windows do that checking for updates. Toolbars are the worst things to have running in your browser. They chew up bandwidth like it's going out of style. Dump them.

There are a lot of variables that effect speeds. You never get all of the bandwidth you pay for because of that. And your internal network can be effected in so many different ways you'd never suspect. Let us know what the answers are to my questions and we'll go from there.

Oh yeah. Is your wireless connection open or do you have an encryption enabled? Could be your next door neighbor is merrily torrenting his ass off on your connection.

What is the up/down speeds your ISP is supposed to be providing?
Is it cable or DSL?
How's it brought in? Copper wire or fiber optic?
What modem/router do you have? Sometimes it's as simple as rebooting them.
What type of computer are you having the problem with? Lap or desk.
You say it's 75 feet away. How many walls are you have to go through? Plumbing and electrical can cause problems.

Signal strength at 75 feet has nothing to do with speed unless there's some kind of interference. I have 3 bars and the access point is 100 feet away. I get 20 down and 10 up. And it's having to plow through some serious concrete and wood.
It seems to me the root of the problem is the packets having to be repeated over and over. The hardware keeps stepping down the speed until it finds a speed where the packets don't have to be repeated as much if ever.

Another thing that will drive down speeds is software running in the background phoning home. AV and windows do that checking for updates. Toolbars are the worst things to have running in your browser. They chew up bandwidth like it's going out of style. Dump them.

There are a lot of variables that effect speeds. You never get all of the bandwidth you pay for because of that. And your internal network can be effected in so many different ways you'd never suspect. Let us know what the answers are to my questions and we'll go from there.

Oh yeah. Is your wireless connection open or do you have an encryption enabled? Could be your next door neighbor is merrily torrenting his ass off on your connection.
I can't answer all you'r ?s about the router I live in a Hotel the router is in the hallway, sometimes it works great other times not so great or no connection at all.
The external network adaptor has improved the situation but it's not the solution.
I would like to remove all the toolbars that may have been installed w/out me knowing they where.
like for instance when I highlight text on the web the popup window gives me a choice to search w/ bing or google (MSN is my current home page) I was unaware of installing any toolbars.
When I look at add remove programs I don't see any toolbars listed as programs would you like to see a screen shot of all my programs?

I have tryed a net gear range extender it did'nt see the router however it did see a bunch of other routers in the area.

this range extender confusses me becauce when I click on the windows7 toolbar for signal strenght it shows me a list of routers some w/ poor,low,fair
excellent and no signal quaility the RE did'nt show the poor or low signal routers as did W7.
Thanks STB

Attachments

• ssofprograms1.jpg
    ssofprograms1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 5
  • ssofprograms2.jpg
    ssofprograms2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 4
  • ssofprograms3.jpg
    ssofprograms3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It's an access point. And you have the same problem all guests suffer. You are at the mercy of the heavy users. There's nothing you can do but complain to the manager the service is crap and see what they do about it.

what do you thinkabout the attached screen shots of my programs

I would like to remove all the toolbars that may have been installed w/out me knowing they where.
like for instance when I highlight text on the web the popup window gives me a choice to search w/ bing or google (MSN is my current home page) I was unaware of installing any toolbars.
When I look at add remove programs I don't see any toolbars listed as programs would you like to see a screen shot of all my programs?

Thanks STB

Back
Top Bottom