linking two computers

pcole

Solid State Member
What i am interested in is sharing information and moving files between both computers, safely! Thay are only 2 foot apart but would like to be able to swap files over as and when required.
One is running on a athlon 2g chip and the other a 3g64 bit, the 2 gig one has a direct cable connection to the internet and the other i rarely use for such, mainly to protect the data and opperating system from on line threats. The question being is, could i link them both together with an ethernet cable, without the need for a router or what would you suggest? A detailed account on how to achieve this would be gratefully appreciated.
If this is possible, would it also be possible to use the resources on one for burning dvd's with files from either?
Thanks

Yeah, you can connect them with a network. A regular ethernet cable probably wouldn't work, you'd need a crossover cable, it's a little different. If you got a router though, you could just use a regular ethernet cable.

The advantage of using a router is that you can connect to the other computer and the internet at the same time, where with a direct connection you would have to unplug the internet to connect them assuming you only have one network card.

im sure hooking them up via a router for a bit wont put you at any risk. especially if you have wpa key on your router and a decent firewall.

A router is the way to go- and read up on securing a router for high speed Internet. You don't want to use the default settings- you're going to have to tweek it a bit. Once you get the router, you make them apart of the same workgroup, with different names, and then create a folder on one of them and share it on the network.

yea deffo dont use the default settings. my neighbour hasnt seemed to tweak their router and its nice and unsecure and i have full access to their router :D ... i wouldnt fcuk it up though, im too kind

Raffaz said:
You only need to secure it if your using wireless tho.

yea.
wireless is a good feature even if you wont use it at the moment. always comes in handy.

You could get a router and always leave them connected. If you're really worried about your computer getting infected, just disconnect the modem from the router before you start up the second computer. When you're done transferring files, just shut down and plug the modem back in.

If you're really against the router, just get a crossover cable, and plug that in whenever you want to transfer files, and then plug your internet back in when you're done.

Back
Top Bottom