LAN Security Advice

Godfather950

Baseband Member
My fraternity is getting two bonded T1 lines at 3mbps up and down, but the company isn't handling our LAN setup, just installing the Cisco IAD 2432 24FXS T1 router, and handing me an ethernet cable. Then all the computers in the house go through drops to two 3Comm Super stack II switches (switch 3300), but I want to put a firewall between our lan and the T1 line. Any recommendations. I kind of want a plug an play, but still somewhat manageable if I wanted to open ports, for webhosting and bittorrent.

What firewall to get / build (thinking of something simple and cheap like NetGear FVS114 ProSafe VPN Firewall 8 with 4 Port 10/100 Mbps Switch)

Please advise, thanks,
Jimmy

Godfather950 said:
. I kind of want a plug an play, but still somewhat manageable if I wanted to open ports, for webhosting and bittorrent.

I wouldn't mention that you "bittorent" if I was you, as I think it is against regulation here. But hey We can pretend we didn't read it....

the technology behind bittorrent is brilliant and beneficial, people seems to forget thisb/c people often use it for bad

all linksys routers have a firewall built in that does pretty well and is pretty easily configurable. Or if you have an old pc laying around, you could make a linux firewall, which supposedly is supposed to be pretty secure.

IronMaiden6669 said:
I wouldn't mention that you "bittorent" if I was you, as I think it is against regulation here. But hey We can pretend we didn't read it....

Why do people have this perception that Bittorent is ALWAYS used for illegal activity - its not! I seed my own content - its mine, I choose to distribute it and its LEGAL.

Thank God someone else understands the legal potential of bittorrent. My ISP said if they see Torrent activity they will cut off our service, even though I was downloading legal podcasts!

yeah, not to thread jack, but most linux distros are through bit torrent as well. But yeah, I think you would be satisfied with a linksys wifi router (i have wrt54gx) cause it will do your wifi and has a firewall built in.

If you're looking for an exta layer of security, look into a SonicWall. Easily configurable, and secure.

Back
Top Bottom