Kind of short on ideas here

Ryan D

Solid State Member
Here is what I am struggling with. At my house, we have Verizon DSL that comes to the house and into our modem. From the modem it goes to a Linksys router that sends one line to my roommates desktop and another line back to my room and into another router. I use my router wirelessly for my laptop, my XBOX and my Wii. Recently I purchased an HP Server that I hard wired into my router. Problem is that I cannot access my server from the internet. I read that Verizon blocks port 80. So my question is how do I access the server? I am guessing that I need to make changes to both router? Maybe port forwarding? I'm really not sure. Any help that you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Ryan

I think you'll need to port forward 3389 (to your server's internal address) for Remote Desktop. However since you're double routing (2 routers) you'll probably need to port forward (1st router - 3389 to 2nd router, then 2nd router - 3389 to server) on both.

Is your Verizon dsl address static? If not, you're going to run into other issues of your WAN (public) address changing every so often. You can register a domain name, have your server host a webpage of the domain and use dyndns (or similar) to notify your public dns server of the address change on the fly. Then all you'd have to do is remote into the domain name "xxxxxxxx.com" and get into your server.

I think you'll need to port forward 3389 (to your server's internal address) for Remote Desktop. However since you're double routing (2 routers) you'll probably need to port forward (1st router - 3389 to 2nd router, then 2nd router - 3389 to server) on both.

Is your Verizon dsl address static? If not, you're going to run into other issues of your WAN (public) address changing every so often. You can register a domain name, have your server host a webpage of the domain and use dyndns (or similar) to notify your public dns server of the address change on the fly. Then all you'd have to do is remote into the domain name "xxxxxxxx.com" and get into your server.

Thanks so much for the reply. No, my IP is not static. I had thought about registering a domain, but I'm not sure if the HP Home Server will host it, nor am I sure if the HP Home Server will run dyndns. I will set up the port forwarding and see how that does. Would I use the MAC address or the IP address? Also, what is a good site that is cheap for registering a domain name?

okay so I tried doing this and the problem that I ran into was trying to port forward the first router to mine. When I tried to do it, I only had the option of changing the last three numbers of the address. For some reason, I caould not change the subnet. The first router is a 192.168.1.x number and my router is a 192.168.2.x number. I have a Linksys WRT54GS router and my roommates router is a WRT150N router

I think all you have to do is port forward 3389 on Router 1 (WRT150N) WAN IP <--> LAN IP ... meaning public ip address to 192.168.1.1 (router default gateway).

Then on Router 2 the WAN IP address should be Router 1's address of 192.168.1.1. Router 2 should port forward 3389 from WAN (192.168.1.1) to Home Server address 192.168.2.x ... not Router 2 LAN ip 192.168.2.1.

This make sense? Not sure why you'd need to mess with subnet mask. If your router 2 is talking with router 1 and vice versa, you're set.

You're just trying to get Remote Desktop Connection traffic across port 3389 to forward all the way to your server.

I'm confusing myself trying my best to explain this clearly. :)

Thing is, I'm probably missing something here or there might be a better way to do what you're asking ... or at least more secure like SSH, but I can't seem to think of anything at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom