IP Problems...

Tmag

Beta member
Hello, Can you please help me...

I'm trying to change my IP but it won't change!

These are the steps I have taken;

Go to Ipchicken (or a website like this to check my ip)
Then go to start, search, cmd.
open that up
Then; ipcongif [enter]
ipconfig /release [enter]
ipconfig /renew [enter]

However this does not work!
I go back to the website and it remains the same; 90.**.**.** or whatever lol :p

The reason i'm trying to change it is because my computer next door has an ip conflict with this one... They both have the same IP.

I have restarted my router, switched it off over night, but i don't know why it won't change....

Anyone Have any other idea's or a solution? Because I have spent the last few days trying to figure it out.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more question:

Also I was thinking of changing my Router... I have a Netgear DG834DT with 150mbps.... I'm with SKY - Sky.com - your home for the latest news, sport and entertainment - and I previously attempted to buy a new Router a few months back, the man in the store stopped me and said that I would need to purchase one from sky..... for an unknown reason that I can't remember.... (sorry) anyway i wish to purchase the Netgear WNR3500 RangeMAX.

Would it still work if i did buy this router?

Many Thanks In Advance! -Tmag

Hey, Thanks Very Much! right so if i wanted to make a server, say for something like vent? (Ventrilo) - But I didn't want people to connect through a programme like Hamachi... how would I do this, because if I Enter That Address no-one seems to be able to connect, my guess is that it tries to connect with another computer or all of them....

Also, This IP Used to change daily, now it doesn't....? If I wanted to change it how would I do that?

Thanks

no worries
you will need to talk to your service provider as they will dictate what networks can or cannot be seen. Your service provider may not want you port forwarding so please call them before you attempt to setup the server.

Port forwarding is how you get the internet to talk to you. Once a port is registered on the computer, no other program can register that port. So when you setup port forwarding you need to register the port to the ip address so information coming from your public ip will be routed to the correct local ip.
TM

Also, This IP Used to change daily, now it doesn't....? If I wanted to change it how would I do that?

That is mostly controlled by your ISP. You can force a change by unplugging your modem for a day or two depending on the IP lease period but depending on their settings and amount of traffic that may or may not give you a new IP.

Back
Top Bottom