Internet keeps dropping out, please help!

routerProblem

Beta member
Hi all, my problem is that since about a week ago, all of my devices (both wired and wireless) have been randomly losing internet connection from my ASUS RT-N12 router. Currently connected to the LAN ports of the router I have a laptop, my PC and my PS3 connected with numerous other devices connected wirelessly (ipods, ipads, laptops etc.).

The problem only started occurring about a week ago, when we still had an old Linksys WRT54G router. Thinking that it was the router reaching the end of its life, I went out and purchased a new one and am currently using that, however the problem remains. I recently got in contact with my ISP and they checked the lines running into my modem and could not find the problem there, and of course I've tried many common solutions, i.e turning off both the modem and router for 2 minutes then turning them back on, checking encryption codes, updating the firmware on the router and they havent helped.

The problem is most noticeable when streaming youtube videos, as it cuts out and the video will no longer stream past that point. It is also a problem with downloading large files, it will get to about 4-5% before the download fails and I have to start over again. And with online gaming, I normally get through about 5-6 minutes of an online game before I am signed out.

Please if you could help me at all, it would be much appreciated, if you need any further details I would be happy to oblige, and if your someone who likes a good challenge, then this is certainly one! Thank you

This sounds to me like it's more of a modem issue if the lines are good and you changed the router. Is your internet provider able to swap out the modem?

hi, thanks for the advice, just an update on what Ive discovered though:
  • I connected my laptop directly to the modem via an ethernet cable and the internet worked perfectly.
  • I tested the cable that runs from modem to router and it didnt seem to show any problems

Because when I connect the laptop directly to the modem and experience no drop outs, and the line going in and out of the modem are okay, does that mean that this is a problem with my router (which is only 2 days old).. aaah im so confused!

I would make sure that your router has the proper settings in it to connect to the modem. Also I would change the cable running from the modem to the router.

Back
Top Bottom