Internet Keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

Computer Help

Beta member
The other day my internet started to disconnect and reconnect. I am using my laptop, and when I am right next to the router or plugged in with the Ethernet cord it works, but when I am up stairs it does not. It has always worked before. I try to connect and it does, but seconds later it disconnects. When I click view status under Network and sharing, the sent and received do not move. They will get to a number and then just stop. Any ideas what this could be.

Any devices can interfere with it. As can other network devices. For example if your neighbours have got a spanking new router that runs on the same channel as yours then it's going to interfere. Try changing it to B+G and a different channel. Appliances such as microwaves (i think) can also affect it.

If it worked before and now it doesn't you'll have to think of anything new that might have happened in your house. A new cordless phone? New electrical devices? Anything like that.

Also, as stated, it could be the neighbors messing it up depending on how close they are to you.

Try changing the router to a differnet channel to see if that helps. Unplug the router and let it rest for about 30 seconds and plug it back in (called: power cycling.)

See if that helps at all.

Back
Top Bottom