Internet dies after 10 or 20 minutes

lsatblu

Beta member
Hi,

I am having some computer problems that are starting to drive me insane.

At home, I have a wireless internet connection. We have a linksys router and I am one of the computers on the network. My dad's pc (the main pc), my sister's laptop, and my Macbook can all connect to the internet without any problems.

I also have a PC that I built over the summer with my uncle. The PC connects to the internet but after 10 or 20 minutes it looses connection. I will then either have to wait a long time or restart the PC. Sometimes it never comes back unless I reset. Also, this problem did not happen all the time. Only once and a while.

Before I moved into my college dorm, I reformatted my PC and started fresh. I installed my linksys drivers and graphic card drivers. I then headed off to college.

At college, our internet is not wireless. It is wired. I could not connect at all.

I took my PC to the computer help people at my college. It took them 4 days to get me online. They said that I was behind on Microsoft updates and that was the reason I could not get online.

They also installed Norton Antivirus and NViDIA Firewall for me. Before I left, they suggested that I add more fans and a larger power supply to my PC. I have two powerful NVIDIA graphic cards and they said they need more power and get too hot.

All way good. I went back to my dorm and connected to the internet. But now I am having the same problem but with a wired internet connection. I can only connect for so long before the connect dies and I can do nothing to fix it. I can only restart my PC and wait till it kicks in again.

I also tried turning off the Norton Antivirus and NVIDIA Firewall. I need the Norton in order to connect to my college internet though. It is required.

Still no luck. I really have no idea how to fix this problem. My Macbook connects fine to the internet and my roomate has a PC and he can connect.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appericated! :)

(Also, a friend of mine said it might be the power supply. Do you think that is the case? If so, if I go into BestBuy tomorrow, will any power supply of a higher voltage work? I am new to this stuff)

It sounds like your onboard ethernet is messed up. You can get new ethernet cards for about $10 and everything should work.

It could be the ethernet card even though my connection is now wired? I don't really know much about building computers, I thought my ethernet cable was plugged into the motherboard in the back of my PC. I just checked and the port where I plug the cable into has a small silver box that looks attached to what I think the motherboard is. I am not sure how I would replace that.

That sounds like its onboard(built into the mobo). You can just buy another card (NIC) and connect it to one of the expansion slots in the pc, and use that. Im assuming you have the latest drivers for the mobo aswell, right?

I remember having a similiar problem to yours, mine was down to a worm that managed to get onto my PC somehow

well.........several reasons m8....

1st check if there is a worm or some ad-ware on your computer

then try and reinstall your networking drivers

and then install McAfee antivirus gurd and the fire wall

norton aint good man

and if everything wont work right lol try and get your self a new NIC

well hope it will work rite lol i hate when thins like that happen 2 me lol

Having a similar problem. When I first reboot everything(cable modem, Router, laptop) and run WZC I'm getting 54mbps. Then over a period of several minutes it dies down to 1-2 mbps. I have McFee and have run very recently for bugs. I have a linksys g wireless router and a gateway laptop. The gateway has an internal wireless card. I'm lost!!!

If I unplug the router and plug it back in it will find the wireless and I get great speed then the longer i'm on it dies to eventually nothing!

Back
Top Bottom