How would i go about setting up this network?

essentialx3

In Runtime
I have a desktop computer and two laptops that need to share files and a printer. Heres my config

Desktop
Dell Dimension 3000(no extras)
USB Wireless Card
Windows XP Home SP2
Could very easilly get Windows Server 2008

Laptop 1
Acer Aspire One Mini
Integrated Wireless
Windows XP Home SP3

Laptop 2
Toshiba Sattleite
Integrated Wireless
Windows Vista Home Basic

The thing is, I would like to use the desktop as a server.

I do not have a router.

Thanks for the help!

Setup and ad-hoc network.... Its truly not going to be the best. But you can make it happen. Its like daisy chaining old lan machined with patch eth cables.

Ew.... That's going to be one nasty connection..... Go on tigerdirect and find a cheapy Netgear router. I had one worked fine as a back up router, I saw one for $14.99 USD. You'll be happier trust me ad-hoc sucks if you have too much stuff going through.

I know. I hate ad hoc.
But i got it, just thought i'd share how

Desktop
Windows Server 2003(it's legit, i promise)
2 Printers
Internet Line (hardwired)
USB Wireless Card, set up to be an access point

Both laptops are configured to connect to that server, and both get their own IP and access to both printers and the shared files

I know. I hate ad hoc.
But i got it, just thought i'd share how

Desktop
Windows Server 2003(it's legit, i promise)
2 Printers
Internet Line (hardwired)
USB Wireless Card, set up to be an access point

Both laptops are configured to connect to that server, and both get their own IP and access to both printers and the shared files

Sounds pretty crude for quality networking standards but how effective is it?
Is the range anything comparable to a regular AP? it seams like it will hold but honestly look into an AP, maybe notnow or in a week but think about it.

Ad-hocs can be VERY nasty. But in a pinch.... Most of the time now you can get routers for pennies if not free. Mail in rebates at best buy and the like usually take it under 20 dollars.

Agreed that it works - just about. And also agreed that it's just not worth it these days when you can pick up switches / routers for so cheaply if not free!

Back in the days when any form of hub cost upwards of £100, even for the small, slow ones, I could fully understand it. But that was also in the days when having one computer was a luxury, let alone 2 or more! Every so often I needed to transfer large files back and forth between a couple of PCs and then my trusty long yellow crossover cable came out of it's cupboard. But it hasn't come out for a good few years now...!

In short, I'd say just get a cheap home router and be done with it :)

ad hoc has no meaning in net working, it is a term used only for wireless connections. Do you mean perhaps peer to peer? for your desktop is the OS xp or is it windows server 2003?

If you do have windows 2003 are you using AD ?
static IP or are you using DHCP
I would really recommend a router of some kind

if xp are you using peer to peer? static ip ?

Step 1. Buy a cheap router.

Step 2. Set up DHCP and DNS on the server.

Step 3. Turn off DHCP on the router.

Step 4. Set up Domain on server.

Step 5. Join laptops to Domain.

Step 6. Enjoy.

PS. If you can afford a 'legit' copy of Server '03, I don't see why you can't grab a wireless router of the self of your local big box store (IE: Wal-Mart). $60 max and you're set.

Back
Top Bottom