How to protect data when accessing a public Wi-Fi network?

xunkn0vvnx

Beta member
I am on a publicly accessed Wi-Fi network as we speak. I am using my neighbors wi-fi internet. What is the best way to protect the data I send over this network? Is there any software I can install to protect myself when accessing public Wi-fi networks? Thanks

what do you mean "the data". i doubt your neighbours will do anything anyway, especially if they are silly enough to leave it unsecured anyway.
you could disable access to any shared folders you have, disable remote desktop, and things like that, but tbh why bother...

what do you mean "the data". i doubt your neighbours will do anything anyway, especially if they are silly enough to leave it unsecured anyway.
you could disable access to any shared folders you have, disable remote desktop, and things like that, but tbh why bother...

Hehe...I'd be careful there. I know people who leave theirs open on purpose. I doubt this is the case. Just a possibility.

yea theres always that possibility. i kind of know what my neighbours are like though and i know they are just stupid :p

I am using my neighbors wi-fi internet.

That might not be the smartest thing to do considering unauthorized access to a network that is not yours is 'illegal'.

What is the best way to protect the data I send over this network?

use SSH threw TOR .Which is very good. I would recommend using TOR and configuring Tor, Privoxy & vidalia on you're machine if you want to protect the data *you* send over this network. Tor can be found here; http://tor.eff.org/download.html.en

I highly doubt your neighbor is using a packet sniffer to capture network traffic (data) on his wireless network* but these days you never know. ;)

indeed lol.
if you have like proper important data like bank statements or w/e then make sure they are not in any shared folders :)
and rar them up and encrypt if possible

If there stupid enough to leave it unsecured, they won't know how to read data lol

Doesn't Newton's third Law state -- For every action, there is an equal (in size) and opposite (in direction) reaction force.

Does your neighbors seem like the techie type or the other type "how do u turn on this damn thing"

I do know one thing however, I wouldn't do any banking on someone else's network thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom