***** This gigantic post has been cobbled together due to a frivolous complaint of a NON-mod that I posted 2 posts consecutively (without another person posting in between) or has he termed it "double post'd" (isn't double-posting when you post the same post in different areas of the forum as 2 different threads?). Yet, the complainer decided to hop on this thread only to make his complaint rather than discuss the thread's issue and posted twice within this thread about it. Lame if you ask me. I*****
i connected the ethernet cable between my laptop and router and can now get the settings up but don't know where to go from there.
can you help?
Originally Posted by CrossCech
You've got to connect to your router via ethernet cable and your computer/laptop. Use an internet browser and type in the address bar the default address of the router ... probably 192.168.1.1 or something similar. After that, follow the instructions on how to enable wireless.
Finally followed the instructions given.
Now you got to do some reading in your manual about how to configure it. You got to decide on several things here:
1. SSID - rename to something you want. And probably disable broadcasting it, unless you want the whole neighborhood to see it and have them trying to hack in.
2. NAT - do you want the router to issue DHCP? If so, consider changing ip address scheme from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.49.x (or whatever with that third #).
3. How many pc's do you want to connect? Set your ip address range from 1 pc to 256 pc's.
4. WEP - this shouldn't even be discussed ... just do it. Do 128 bit encryption by entering in 13 characters for the key.
5. Enable wireless by following the instructions in your manual.
Read, read, read ... you're reading this post ... so read your manual.
Good luck with it.
After you do these configs from instructs of your manual and above posted suggestions ... SSID, DHCP, IP range ... you'll need to configure your laptop wireless connection to tap into the wireless router.
1. right-click my network places>properties
2. right-click wireless connection>properties
3. select wireless networks tab
4. select add
5. manually input SSID that you gave your router
6. de-select "The key is provided for me automatically"
7. manually input WEP key in the 2 spaces labeled: Network Key: & Confirm Network Key:
If all is configured right by following instucts of manual and the above steps for configuring laptop ... you should be able to access your internet via wireless.
BTW ... exactly what model Linksys Wireless G router are you working with?
hmm ... Steven12 ... Ill let the mods moderate my posting style ... not a fellow "junior member". But thanks for the input. BTW ... double posting to me means posting the same thing TWICE. My 2 posts in sequence were not identical. If the mods are concerned about it, they will let me know, until then your request is frivolous & unwarranted
doesn't matter (Steven12) ... lame thing to complain about. Im not going to argue with you. Mods handle these issues, lets allow them to moderate the forums not you. I would think your explanation of double posting would mean having the same comments repeated over and over by several members within a thread. You know .... like beating a dead horse? Go on ... keep beating it Steven11 or 12 ... whatever.
does this please you now Steven11/12? Im sure you'll add to your post count, responding. lame ... why not just re-edit a previous post so you wont have multiple posts within a thread. We can't have any consecutive posts now can we?