Hi guys its me again,

tester

Baseband Member
Well I guess I got the network of two computers done and I've installed the Exchange Server 2003. But I actually have no idea how to test if my network(not on the internet) with two computers on a hub can send mails to each other. I would like to know if i have to add these computers on to the Active Directory and if yes how to add them.
Also what to do inorder to test whether i can send mails and receive them between the two computers.

Will somebody pls get me going with this problem and guide me with the steps invovled or just point me to a link which would help me.

Cheerio,
tester

Just to get it clear, You want to be able to send e-mail to and fro your two computers using Microsoft Exchange?

Yes exactly chrisalis

I need to send mails between the two computers on the network which is again not connected to the net. So would you pls tell me if i have to set up the outlook and if so what would be my incoming/outgoing servers(POP3,SMTP,....).

Thanks for the consideration and response anyway :) .

tester

Hmm..that's good question...Now you got me thinking about that.....All that i can think up right now is the use of IP adresses..But that stills leaves unanswered the question of POP3 & SMTP usage (if it's even needed at within this setup).

Thanks again, crysalis.

Hi chrysalis,

If I am supposed to send mails to and fro between the two computers which incoming/outgoing servers should i select. Or if i am asking a foolish question would u mind giving me an idea how to set up the machines to send mails to each other (ofcourse not thru the net). And one more thing to add.
i can ping my server with the ip address of the client but the other way is not possible. Or is it not possible to ping the client to the server.?
Well i'm totally new to all these networking stuffs.
So i guess what i have said in here is something sensible. :D

How can i actually no or what should i do to understand that the communication b/w the two can take place.
Like should i run some wizard, like the setup mailbox wizard or something of that sort.

Any hlp regarding the issue is highly appreciated.

thanks and cheers,

Tester.

First I would say make sure that the two computers and server can talk. If thats a go then your alright. To use exchange as far as I know you need to have active directory running on the server. Create two bogus accounts in the active directory with user name and password. As for incoming and outgoing server there is none. That would be a POP3 server. Exchange works in a way that all the mail is held on the server whereas POP3 downloads the mail to your machine. Once you created the bogus accounts in active directory you should be able to right click the account and see a line that says exchange tasks. Click that and follow the steps to create mailboxes. Fire up outlook on the two machines and set them up to use the exchange server. You will log on as the accounts you made. You should then be able to send email to the two accounts. Remember the email addresses will be "acctname@domain.com" have fun!

Back
Top Bottom