Help With Internet Usage

Will.S

Beta member
Hello, In my family we have 5 computers which are on rarely throughout the day but quite a lot in the evening. There is also 4 smart phones which have Wifi turned on at all times. We have a 40gb broadband package with BT but we seem to be either going over the monthly allowance or coming close to the limit every month. I play online games most nights for around an hour, but other than that my family doesn't exclusively use the internet a lot. Is there something wrong with our router? (it is 8 years old) or is my gaming using up all the data?

What gaming? It does use lots of data. Also what about any video playing - youtube/netflix/hulu/etc all use lots of data. What about streaming music - pandora/iheartradio/et all use data too.

It could be down to a number of factors.

I would say your smarth phones are probably contributing a little bit as they tend to constantly check the internet for updates, emails, notifications etc.

Your gaming is certainly going to be a big portion of it.

As above any watching of videos of any greta length is going to contribute alot.

Do you have any games consoles connected to it?

Lazy web designers aren't helping you, now that peoples connections are generally getting alot faster web designers are getting lazy at making things small, fast and efficient. So the website you loaded 10 years ago is probably 10 X the size it used to be.

Personally I would never be on any other broadband package other than 1 with unlimited downloads.

I play league of legends, awesomenauts and torchlight but only for maybe an hour a day maybe less... But recently I haven't played any game e cause I am having trouble connecting the router booster (edimax) and my usage is still sky rocketing!

Torrents? Is your wireless secure? Change your password - maybe someone is using it.

Heh. 40GB. That's cute.

When I was living with my mom, it was her, myself and my brother & sister. None of us did any heavy downloading, but between all of us, we would saturate 250GB of data from Comcast.

The world is moving more and more to data consumption in levels which these ISPs can't or won't keep up with. You can do a few things like getting a router with the ability to autothrottle based on the amount of data you've used, or you can tell people to be more proactive in monitoring their usage... ultimately however, it will be ISPs that hold the world back with their asinine data limits.

Back
Top Bottom