Help creating file server

rutgurt

Beta member
Alright, I was going to just pay a 100 bucks for Netgears Storage Central Network solution, but it doesn't work with Linux. Looks like im going to have to build my own thing. I simply need a file server with mirroring for my network so I can save all my stuff to 1 place instead of trying to remember which of my computers has which files. Anyways, I need it to be compatable with as many Operating Systems as possible, so recommend me an OS for it as well. I got two choices. Tell me which ones the best, cheapest and what I need to buy:

A) build a cheap computer for file serving and let me know the hardware to purchase (i have never built a computer specifically for file storing/serving). I already bought the tower. I probably dont need a sound card if im going to be using it specifically for file serving.

OR

B) I already got an old computer. Its a Pentium 3 700mhz with only 128MB ram. Would this be good enough? If so, will it run a decent file server operating system? And what would I need in order to make it support disk mirroring for 2 hard drives? I doubt the mother board was made for this. I have heard of RAID cards but I honestly dont know too much about this. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction

Thanks for your help people

Can you give me the specific year, the other computer is a linix right, I know a company that could probably help you out, more than I can, but I would go b, but the company will help you with that. :D

Back
Top Bottom