have a connection, but no internet??

Stiffler1470

In Runtime
Ok, im not sure if this is the right place, but w/e. I have concast high-speed cable and its usually hooked up to my linksys wireless router. One day, it starts getting retarted and i dont have internet. I check my modem and the lights for the connection r all on and solid. I took it out of my router and put my computer into the modem for direct connection. I went to check my ip address and it looked fine and normal for cable. But when i go to firefox or IE, it says page cannot be displayed. Im like wtf. I reseted my modem, checked my ip, everything was good. So then i decided to call comcast, they asked me to do sum shit and whatnot, then they say its sumehting to do with my computer that i had to call HP to fix. Well, my problem is that if i call HP, i will end up paying like 60$ because my warrenty ended and they charge u for calling. It sucks. SO, does anybody have any idea on what to do to fix my computer so i can get access to the internet. I did a system restore and reformatted my HD to try and fix the bug, but it wont work. I went to my sis' laptop and used ur wireless card to get a signal from our neighbors, but it wont last long and came to post this. Can please someone hep me or any tips. I dk. Anything is helpful, because i am stumped.
THANKS!

First and foremost, with Comcast modems, you have to power cycle the modem, each time you change the device. The reason behind this is that the modem locks onto what's called a MAC address- which every networking device has form the manufacture- and if you change from the router (which has a MAC address) to the computer (has a different MAC addres), then the modem sees the connection, but will not talk to it unless it is power cycled.
It sounds like you got one of those reps that didn't know much- which is highly possible. They should have informed you that it's not your computer, it's the modem, which froze-up after a reboot of some kind. I do know that Comcast will only help you if it's one of three things-
1. Network Card- Is a network card installed and functioning properly?
2. TCP/IP Stack- Is the TCP/IP Networking protocol installed and functioning properly?
3. Internet Explorer- Is your Web browser installed and functioning properly?
If the rep went outside this aspect, then they went beyond what they were supposed to do for you. The reason I know all this is one, I'm a tech with years of experience, and two- it didn't hurt that I worked in the call center for Comcast as and HSI Rep for 6 months :)

If your connection says limited or no connectivity- your computer cannot talk with the DHCP server- which is your router- not the modem in your case. If your computer is hooked directly to the modem, then the modem acts as the DHCP server, and should assign you an IP Address. If neither one does assign you an IP, and both have lights on, it is possible they have become "stuck" and need to be power cycled. When I first started using Comcast, my modem would do this at least twice a week. That happened for about 3-4 weeks straight, then it stopped. Sometimes it is issues with Comcasts network, and you do need to call them. You posted that, so I'm assuming you are online. I hope you don't have anymore issues.

Well thanksa lot of respodnin, and second of all, im online because i am on my laptop using the wireless internet from our nighbors, im lucky that i can get a signal. So what should i do exactly? call comcast again? im not sure if i described this clearly or not. The modem is directly connected to my main computer now. Usually, if i take it from the router to my computer for direct connection, it will work. I do get an ip address either way. 192.168 numbers for my router, and 24.131 numbers from my comcast modem. I put it in, and it doesn't say that theres limited or no connection. It just doesn't work. So can u tell me if i have to call comcast again or tell a step by step on what to do?
THANKS!

If you're getting a valid IP address, and from your response, you are. Try this:
Go to Start>Run and type "cmd" without quotes- enter
A black screen should come up. Don't worry about the text, simply type:
ping www.google.com
It should give you one of two things:
1. Reply from www.google.com and the number of packets it sent/received. It should do this a total of 4 times.
2. It will say destination unreachable.
If you get the 1st one, you have a browser issue.
If you get the second, it's an issue with your network card, the TCP/IP stack has become corrupt, or you possibly have a firewall of some sorts blocking transmission of packets.
Do this, and post your computers response here when you do. It should look like this:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.l.google.com [64.233.179.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.179.104: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=244
Reply from 64.233.179.104: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=244
Reply from 64.233.179.104: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=244
Reply from 64.233.179.104: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 64.233.179.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 64ms, Average = 61ms