Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Angry gone bannanas...

Okay so I was just on my computer doing nothing fancy and my internet doesn't work. I don't have IE, I can't get Norton to run, SpySweeper, try doing a system restore and that wont' open. (this is a different computer). I can't scan for viruses because I can't get norton to open. I can't check for spyware or anything because spysweeper won't open. I can't do a system restore because that dosn't open. I can't run disk doctor, that won't open. If a window does pop up, it it just a blank page. I was able to ping this computer, and this computer can ping the one that's not working, and it all pings fine. Checked the cord, that's fine. The cable box is fine too. Any ideas? the Microsoft programs (word, excell, etc) do work, they are about the only ones that do.
Thanks,
Amy
__________________

__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Sound's like you have a virus.You may have to do a reinstall of your OS system. That's probably the only way to fix your problem.
__________________

__________________
Ultra_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Sorry I disagree. It's gotta be something with the internet. I checked the rest of my programs. If it doesn't need the internet for some component of it, then it works. (ex: word, excel, print master, games, etc work) but something that connects to the internet (my website program, internet, email, norton, and spysweeper) don't work. I also just got an error for OE it says that it can't start becuase of a DLL file...MSOE.DLL
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Try booting into safe mode and getting norton to run. just press F8 when the computer loads (before it gets to the windows screen) and then when a menu with some options comes up select "Safe mode with networking" but unplug the internet cord. Or you can just do regular safemode instead. I recommend getting rid of norton though but that's just my opinion. All the viruses I had on my PC were when I had norton. Get AVG, Avast or Avira which are all free and blow norton out of the water.

Hope that helps,
Troy
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysrabbitranch
Sorry I disagree. It's gotta be something with the internet. I checked the rest of my programs. If it doesn't need the internet for some component of it, then it works. (ex: word, excel, print master, games, etc work) but something that connects to the internet (my website program, internet, email, norton, and spysweeper) don't work. I also just got an error for OE it says that it can't start becuase of a DLL file...MSOE.DLL
I've had that happen before, I just uninstalled office rebooted and reinstalled it again. It could be some form of malware that's connecting to the internet. Could also be spysweeper... I tried the new version and it screwed up my PC so I got rid of it. I've heard that some types of malware and viruses can target office but I'm not sure about your situation though.
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysrabbitranch
Sorry I disagree. It's gotta be something with the internet. I checked the rest of my programs. If it doesn't need the internet for some component of it, then it works. (ex: word, excel, print master, games, etc work) but something that connects to the internet (my website program, internet, email, norton, and spysweeper) don't work. I also just got an error for OE it says that it can't start becuase of a DLL file...MSOE.DLL

Oh Ok Maybe it is your ISP server. Contact them and tell them of your problem.
__________________
Ultra_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

But I have all three computers on the same network, and the other two work. If it was something with the ISP, why are two of my computers working and one isn't?
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Norton was able to do live update...I have the Internet it seems, because I can connect, but IE doesn't work, and neither does any other program that needs the internet.
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
UK31337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,776
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysrabbitranch
Norton was able to do live update...I have the Internet it seems, because I can connect, but IE doesn't work, and neither does any other program that needs the internet.
What do you mean it won't work? Will it not start, or will it start and just not be able to connect to the net?

If IE won't start, do you get any error messages? Any error messages from the other affected programs?
__________________
UK31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Okay, I click on IE. It opens the window...you see all the stuff at the top (the title thing, the file/edit/view etc bar, the back forward, etc buttons, and the address toolbar, and favorites) but the place where the webpage itself would be, there is just a blank white screen. OE doesn't work either, it says it can't start because of it can't find the MSOE.DLL file, and I'm not sure how to replace that file and I don't know if that's linked to the rest of the issues. Any program that needs the internet...so like norton, spysweeper, etc can't connect to the internet.
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysrabbitranch
Okay, I click on IE. It opens the window...you see all the stuff at the top (the title thing, the file/edit/view etc bar, the back forward, etc buttons, and the address toolbar, and favorites) but the place where the webpage itself would be, there is just a blank white screen. OE doesn't work either, it says it can't start because of it can't find the MSOE.DLL file, and I'm not sure how to replace that file and I don't know if that's linked to the rest of the issues. Any program that needs the internet...so like norton, spysweeper, etc can't connect to the internet.
did you try a winsocks reset? here's a program that will fix it: http://www.download.com/LSP-Fix/3003...-10417025.html
you could also do a winsocks reset, I'm not sure how to do it because I haven't done it in awhile but I think it goes like this
go to run, type CMD and type NETSH WINSOCKS RESET then press enter and it should reset. Again i'm not 100% sure but I think that's how you do it.
Also try reinstalling office too, I had to do that when got that same error and it fixed it.
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

What's winsocks? I assume I can download the program to a floppy because I don't have internet on the other computer...
In reseting winsock do I loose my favorites and other settings or does it just edit the registry?
(it is netsh winsock reset catalog I think)
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysrabbitranch
What's winsocks? I assume I can download the program to a floppy because I don't have internet on the other computer...
In reseting winsock do I loose my favorites and other settings or does it just edit the registry?
(it is netsh winsock reset catalog I think)
I don't think it messes with the registry. I used that tool once and it didn't harm anything. It's a really small program so you could probably fit it on a floppy. You could always just do the CMD route if you can't use the program.
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

I read that using the comand "netsh winsock reset catalog" resets something with antivirus and spyware programs though...something about something that I didn't follow well but basically they can't work as well because they are moved to a third tier or something like that so if you use that comand you have to reload any antivirus or antispyware programs. So anyway, i will try the program and see if it works, I never even heard of winsock before you mentioned it but it sounds like that could be the issue. I'll let you know if it works.
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #15
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Didn't work
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysrabbitranch
Didn't work
That doesn't make much sense. Did you try putting the NIC on 10MBPS half-duplex after doing the winsocks reset? Sometimes that works. You might want to also try repairing the network connection but I don't know if it will help or not. (I'm assuming you use broadband) did you unplug the modem, and router and let them sit for about 5 minutes and then plug them in? when my computer has internet problems that's what I do.
Did you install or download anything recently? sometimes downloaded files can have viruses and malware which could cause your internet to be inoperable but I don't know. Also try using another browser like Firefox or Opera. If you're using IE7, sometimes weird things can happen, I had some weird things happen to mine when I used IE7...
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #17
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

I'm not sure what you mean by the NIC on 10MBPS thing lol sorry I don't always speak the lingo.
I have IE 6
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysrabbitranch
I'm not sure what you mean by the NIC on 10MBPS thing lol sorry I don't always speak the lingo.
I have IE 6
IE6 could have gotten malware, it is the main target of viruses and malware. Even with spysweeper and all kinds of anti-spyware programs you can still get spyware (i've had it happen before). Your best bet is to run a virus scan (not using norton, get AVG or another free program that will catch whatever there is). and try using something besides spysweeper because it doesn't always catch everything, I've had it miss some stuff so try using spybot or ad-aware. You could try setting the NIC (Network Interface Card) to 10MBPS half duplex, go to control panel then go to system and go to hardware and then device manager and go to network cards and click on it. Then when a window comes up click on Link Speed & Duplex and set it to "10 Mbps/half duplex" under value. That should do something...
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:34 AM   #19
Solid State Member
 
amysrabbitranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: gone bannanas...

None of that helped...any more ideas??
Also new thing it picked up is restarting on it's own!!! So, you turn it on, it boots up, once Windows loads in, it restarts on it's own, sometimes it will do this cycle a few times before it stays in Windows, and then sometimes if it's been on a while it will just do it for no reason!
__________________
amysrabbitranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #20
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: gone bannanas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysrabbitranch
None of that helped...any more ideas??
Also new thing it picked up is restarting on it's own!!! So, you turn it on, it boots up, once Windows loads in, it restarts on it's own, sometimes it will do this cycle a few times before it stays in Windows, and then sometimes if it's been on a while it will just do it for no reason!
Did you try running HiJackThis? that will tell you if there's anything bad in there. just download it here, and then you can copy and paste the log here and then just delete whatever is in red. That should work but if it doesn't let me know and I'll see what else I can dig up...

Troy

EDIT: go to http://www.tasklist.org/ and look for your running tasks, that should tell you if theyr'e good or bad and if they're bad, terminate them and find where they're coming from. If they're a program then go to run and type MSCONFIG and delete it, actually you should do that and delete any startup programs you don't need or that you don't want to start up, then again you could also download startup control panel which is a very tiny program that runs from the control panel, just install and then go to the control panel and click on "startup" and get rid of the ones you don't want or need (best of all it's free) You can download that program here.
__________________

__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×