A Frantic SOS To Anyone Who Knows More About Networking Than Me!!!

MacGirl

In Runtime
Hi! I know this is kind of long winded, but I am in desperate need of some advice about setting up my home network. It is driving me crazy:eek: , so I am hoping that you guys can tell me what I need to do to fix it.

Here's what I have.

2 desktop PCs.............................one wireless and one wired
A Mac Laptop..............................connected wirelessly
A Linksys wireless-N router..................... set up with WPA security.

I first installed the router onto my main Windows XP desktop using a wired connection.
Then I decided to move the router to another room, and wire it to my older desktop so that I wouldn't have to have all those wires attached to my main computer. I got a Linksys wireless-PCI adapter and installed it onto my main computer, set it up to connect wirelessly, and moved the router. Things worked out ok at first, but then I started getting messages on my main computer saying it couldn't detect the router........or network connection has been lost....etc:confused: .................It usually reconnects if I troubleshoot, only to disconnect again in a few hours. Sometimes I even have to re-enter the network password to make it reconnect.

Can anyone tell me what it making it do this???? I know it's not because of too low of signal strength, because the router and PC are still very close to each other............My Mac laptop is a lot further away and it works great without any problems.

I have wondered if maybe it is happening because I installed the router onto my main computer and then moved it to the other one.................does a router have to be wired to the main compute it was installed on? I could reset it and install it onto the old computer if that would make any difference...........I have also wondered if maybe it is a security thing, but I hate to change the security settings up when I am not even sure that is the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, then please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice.......

Hi! I know this is kind of long winded, but I am in desperate need of some advice about setting up my home network. It is driving me crazy:eek: , so I am hoping that you guys can tell me what I need to do to fix it.

Here's what I have.

2 desktop PCs.............................one wireless and one wired
A Mac Laptop..............................connected wirelessly
A Linksys wireless-N router..................... set up with WPA security.

I first installed the router onto my main Windows XP desktop using a wired connection.
Then I decided to move the router to another room, and wire it to my older desktop so that I wouldn't have to have all those wires attached to my main computer. I got a Linksys wireless-PCI adapter and installed it onto my main computer, set it up to connect wirelessly, and moved the router. Things worked out ok at first, but then I started getting messages on my main computer saying it couldn't detect the router........or network connection has been lost....etc:confused: .................It usually reconnects if I troubleshoot, only to disconnect again in a few hours. Sometimes I even have to re-enter the network password to make it reconnect.

Can anyone tell me what it making it do this???? I know it's not because of too low of signal strength, because the router and PC are still very close to each other............My Mac laptop is a lot further away and it works great without any problems.

I have wondered if maybe it is happening because I installed the router onto my main computer and then moved it to the other one.................does a router have to be wired to the main compute it was installed on? I could reset it and install it onto the old computer if that would make any difference...........I have also wondered if maybe it is a security thing, but I hate to change the security settings up when I am not even sure that is the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, then please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice.......

Try changing the channel that the router broadcasts on.

I'm not quite sure but I would say leaving the router connected to the original host might make a difference, have you tried switching them back round, you could always try updating the firmware. DJ CHRIS is very good with routers try PM him.

Thanks for the info guys.

The modem I have is not a cable modem, but the kind that HughesNet satellite internet uses. (unfortunately we can't get anything else where we live) It is made to stand alone so to speak......doesn't even have to have anything installed onto the computer.

I haven't tried changing the channel. Maybe I will do that if I can figure out how. Otherwise I guess I will have reset the router and start over with the computer it is on now or else move all of those wires back into the sitting room with my main computer.......sigh.

I agree with Jimbo, change your wireless channels. Also check the wireless card and router and make sure they are broadcasting on full power.

Thanks for the info guys.

The modem I have is not a cable modem, but the kind that HughesNet satellite internet uses. (unfortunately we can't get anything else where we live) It is made to stand alone so to speak......doesn't even have to have anything installed onto the computer.

I haven't tried changing the channel. Maybe I will do that if I can figure out how. Otherwise I guess I will have reset the router and start over with the computer it is on now or else move all of those wires back into the sitting room with my main computer.......sigh.
It should be on the "Wireless" Tab on your router configuration page. if you have a linksys wrt54g (popular model might as well throw it out there), you can see the wireless channel right on the first "Wireless" tab screen.

It should be on the "Wireless" Tab on your router configuration page. if you have a linksys wrt54g (popular model might as well throw it out there), you can see the wireless channel right on the first "Wireless" tab screen.

It told me that I'll have to have a cable connection to change those settings........lol......I guess I either "misconfigured" it, or else what I tried to do is just not supposed to be done!!!!:rolleyes:

Has anyone on here other than me ever tried to make their "router computer" wireless.......or am I the only one who's ever came up with that crazy idea?

It told me that I'll have to have a cable connection to change those settings........lol......I guess I either "misconfigured" it, or else what I tried to do is just not supposed to be done!!!!:rolleyes:

Has anyone on here other than me ever tried to make their "router computer" wireless.......or am I the only one who's ever came up with that crazy idea?
Check the make sure that configuring the router through a wireless connection is enabled.

Go to the administration tab, and make sure "Wireless Access Web" is enabled. Not sure if this is it, but I think it is.

Also, if that doesn't work you can try reloading factory defaults.

Or, you can take your computer and plug it into the router using a wire to change the setting.

Back
Top Bottom