ethernet help

dwsracing

Beta member
My parents have a 4 year old Gatway PC. They have high speed chater internet connection. Never had no problems, but they bought a new laptop and was going to set up a wireless network. The charter internet box had 2 connections, usb, or ethernet. It was always usb used for the connection. I need all ethernet conns so was not sure why the ethernet would not work one there pc. I had her up date the box, now its only ethernet set-up. There pc came with the ethernet plug but is not working, and may never have worked. I'm not sure what to do too make it work, is it a driver update, or something turned off. What is the easy way to get the pc to read the ethernet plug.
I do have a great connection, laptop is up and running wired and wireless. Please help, I'm not the pro by a long shot, but most basic computer stuff I do ok.
I am a member of many different forms and love them, and use them daily. Thanks

Well, if the laptop is working when you hook it up via ethernet then it sounds like the etherenet port on the desktop is the issue.
Go to Start>Control Panel>Network Settings>and you should see a LAN icon. Make sure it is enabled.

Right click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager Button>make sure that there are no exclamation points (i think they are inside a yellow triangle). This would indicate the driver is not properly installed.

You could always go and buy a new network card and put it in. I think you can get them for around $10.

Went too her house to work on it, now the laptop lost its connection both wired and wireless. My lap works fine wireless of her connection and wired. Wasted a few hours and have no idea why. In the end her lap said connected but nothing would open. Man how I love my laptop, from day one, just works, connects anywhere any time, and mine is 2 plus years old. Sorry, just flustered.

So I brought her lap home, works great on my wireless network, go figure.
I going to bring home her pc now, need that going and don't want too confuse two problem with you. Her pc has windows xp, and the few mins. I looked at it, didnt see anything disabled but will have here asap.

Well I'm getting no where. Would using a wireless adapter in a usb port say me any hassle. She is using the linksys e1000 wireless n router. If so what one ?? The router will be in the same room as the pc. Distance should not matter in this case. I see some linksys have a package deal with the adapter, little late there. Open to your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom