downloads from web and email cause office network to go down

ESM

Beta member
I work in an office that has three desktops and a laptop networked together. I'm discovering that when I save a download such as an image from an email or graphics from the internet onto the network, the network then becomes inaccessible to any of the computers, including mine (laptop). It requires a reboot of the computer where the network lives to get things up and running again. Not sure why this is happening--any ideas?

the computers are networked wirelessly as far as I can tell. Any files would be saved to the network.

It requires a reboot of the computer where the network lives to get things up and running again.

What's the "computer where the network lives"? The router?

If you copy a large file just across the network (from one PC to another, not using the internet) does the same thing happen?

It could possibly be the router playing up / dying.

Ya it could be an overload on the network causing the router to reboot. Watch the router the next time you try it to see if it stays on or not.

Are all of the computers wireless? This seems unlikely.

What kind of hardware is there in the network? Switches/Hubs/Routers/Etc?

hmm...maybe I don't know enough about the system to be asking questions...;) I'll watch the router next time, although I have tried unplugging it and that doesn't seem to work (the action that will generally work if the wireless internet connection gets interrupted on the laptop, for ex.). I don't think the other computers are wireless, but after crawling around under desks, I don't see any obvious connections. There is one computer that has to be on for any of the others to access the network, and that is the one you have to reboot when the network goes down.

Then I would scan that one computer for any malware first to verify that isn't the problem.

thank you, I will do that. Signing out--I'm leaving the office in question, and was gathering info for the person proceeding me. Thanks for your help. :)

Back
Top Bottom